Main Menu

Cleaning raised white letters

Started by 70RTSE383, March 15, 2019, 04:12:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I bought a set of T/A tires for my car about 2 years ago and the lettering is still nice and white on the fronts. The rear which is a larger size were a little dull to start with and got much worse over time. I tried cleaning to no avail. I decided to do what the manufacturer does to get the white to show and used an abrasive. I put 80 grit belt paper on a small rubber sanding block ant they came out excellent. It seems the whole sidewall on the rears has a coating on it where the fronts do not. Anyone else try this.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

70 Challenger Lover

I used to use a soapy SOS pad and that always worked well no matter how bad they were. The steel wool cut off the top grime pretty fast.

70RTSE383

Thanks for the tip. Wen I got the first raised letter tires (Dunlop got qualifiers) I used Ajax and a scrub brush. The letters always glowed 😎
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Rich G.

I've tried everything except the 80 grit paper on my radial t/a rears. Fronts are great and rears have always been crappy since new. I hope you're idea works!

70RTSE383

Rich, give it a try. 80 grit with a palm sized rubber block. Just make sure to cover wheels with painters tape. Just scrub keeping the Bloch relatively flat against the letters. It takes maybe two minutes per letter. The paper I used just happened to be cut from a sanding belt which is mush tougher than regular paper. It also doesn't clog as easily. As you can see in the pic the letters were very dark but now look like new.
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

70/6chall

The tires on my car are 14"-60 series tires. I put these on the car in 1998, I mean how long has it been since you've seen Kelly Chargers? The car has been outside for quite awhile, covered of course, but the tires still look new. I do use on the white letters a wet SOS pad and a water flush. I use the pad very lightly on the letters only. After scrubbing the rest of the tire with a car soap and rinse well, then dry well. I then apply the rubber preservative 303 and buff with toweling. No embedded dirt, no deterioration, no cracking.

kathyscuda

JS29

Comet cleanser and a nylon scrub brush.  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

70RTSE383

Thanks, I figured someone had tried but had not come across it. I just tried it and it worked so I posted😎
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

e_body70

Using SOS pads and a stiff bristle brush has given me the BEST results.  Check out my before/after pics of using the SOS pads and a stiff bristle brush.

Marksmopar1

Try this,
    sounds crazy but works great on my white convert top...
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser..little water... I put that shit on everything  ;)