Main Menu

Jacks- Tube vs T-style 1970

Started by R/T's 4 R/P, August 23, 2023, 06:02:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

R/T's 4 R/P

It sounds like the use of Tube or 'T'-style is a bit random.
I am missing the original jack from my TA (SPD 4/05) and was able to pick up a decent Tube style with a 0D date (might be a bit optimistic to think they would have made the jack and got it to the car in 4 days :) ).
However, before I restore it I wanted to see if any TAs or AARs with original Jacks were tube.  All the ones I've seen are T-style.
I looked at a TA build the same day and he has his original T style.

Jumping to the restoration of the Tube, if I go that direction, it seems the hook and base are gray, but the mechanism is black...is that accurate?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

JH27N0B

Hey Ron, my 4-15 SBD T/A has a T style jack, which was in the trunk when I bought the car in 78 so presumably original.
My 71 didn't have a jack in the trunk when I bought it, and I bought a tubular style for it.  When I did research then I came up with the head being black so that is how I restored it.  I thought the base was black too, but don't remember for sure now and the car is stored so I can't go look at it anytime soon.  Maybe I have a picture somewhere though.
Interesting aside on tubular style jacks.  My buddy has a late build (June) 71 Challenger convertible he bought when it was only a couple years old, and the head on it is a dark olive green.  We were at a car show one time and saw another 71 that had the head painted dark olive green.  So that adds another degree of mystery to how tubular style jacks were painted.