Main Menu

Leaky wheel cylinder

Started by mrwfp, April 27, 2022, 07:13:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mrwfp

One of my drum brake wheel cylinders started leaking. I bought a new cylinder but those rods that plug into the cylinder are old, rusty and do not seal well. I soaked them and tried to clean them up but would prefer to buy new ones. What are they called and where do I find them?  NAPA had a set that they called brake shoe links but they were not the correct size or style. I have attached a pic from this forum that shows someone holding the part I am looking for. Mine look just as bad as this one.  Thanks!
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

MoparLeo

Flush all brake lines with new fluid, before you install(2) new wheels cylinders. The wheel cylinders should have a coil spring with a metal disc in each end and a neoprene cup actually seals the inside of the cylinder. The wheel cylinder pin just acts to apply movement from the wheel cylinder piston to the brake shoe and has no sealing properties.
You can either glass bead them or wire wheel them for looks. New ones can be ordered from the major parts stores and will normally take just a few days to get them. They are different for different car models.
[/font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

68bee

Rock Auto has them called wheel cylinder link

mrwfp

Thanks to both of you!  I was not aware that there was a seal inside the cylinder and the bad condition of the link would not cause a leak.  After I saw the responses, I removed the outer rubber caps and saw what the insides are all about. I appreciate both responses. Thanks!
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango