Main Menu

Rear Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Brass Seat

Started by Gary AAR, January 29, 2021, 08:08:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I am rebuilding the rear drum brake wheel cylinders on my 70 AAR Cuda.  The brass seat that the brake line seals against looks questionable (see photo).  I will be replacing the brake lines with new parts, but wanted to replace the brass seat in the wheel cylinder to prevent leaking problems in the future.  Does anyone know if they sell new brass seats, and what the procedure is to replace them?  Typically available wheel cylinder rebuild kits do not include a new brass seat.  I thought I read somewhere that you can screw an easy out into the inside diameter of the brass seat, and then pull the old brass seat out.  Not sure if a new one simply gets pressed back in, but first I need to find a new one.  Anyone ever done this before, and if so, where do I buy a new brass seat?
Thanks for the help.

JH27N0B

In the past, both wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuild kits contained new brass seats, have they stopped doing that?
Napa had a catalog of parts in the past too that included items like bleeder screws, seats and retaining rings but not sure if that still is the case.
If nothing else you could purchase a kit like this one to pirate the seats out of.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-MASTER-CYLINDER-KIT-PART-NO-4049656-NEW-OEM-BRAKE/233858360865?hash=item36730b6621:g:JFcAAOSwMXdfoyvP
I looked at the instruction sheet for an NOS master cylinder kit I have, and it says thread a 6-32 screw into the old seat and then pry up to remove it.  To reinstall I think you just push the new seat in place and then threading the brake line into the outlet will push the seat the rest of the way into place.