Main Menu

Location of stock rear sway bar bracket on frame rails?

Started by Dakota, June 02, 2019, 03:03:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Back when I was on the other site, one of the members posted a picture with measurements added in to show the stock location of the rear sway bar brackets on the frame rails.   The picture seems to be gone now (I know....shocking!).  I have a 70 Challenger, so there aren't any dimples on the frame rails for guidance.  If someone here has that picture or can take one of their stock set up (I think this was available for '71+?), I'd be grateful.   Thanks.

Bullitt-

I took this measurement from my '73 that should suffice .. 10" from the point the frame bends upward to the lower hole.. the bracket will serve as a template
   FYI there is a difference in the left & right bracket in the way they orient.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cuda Cody

This is from a stock 1970 T/A.  Not sure it helps, but thought I would share anyway.

anlauto

The bracket is tapered to match the frame rail so it really only fits nice in one area. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Nice pics Cody.  The pic of the bar installed makes me wonder if my original bar is not twisted as I thought; it might be the angle of the shot but it looks like one side id "higher" than the other.  Mine is tweaked like that when I lay it on the floor.

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 02, 2019, 09:19:36 AM
This is from a stock 1970 T/A.  Not sure it helps, but thought I would share anyway.

Dakota

Thanks folks.

Quote from: Bullitt- on June 02, 2019, 04:20:08 AM
   FYI there is a difference in the left & right bracket in the way they orient.

@Bullitt-  I noticed the taper which Alan mentions, but otherwise how do I tell the left bracket from the right?

I'm not re-using the "u" shaped portion of the brackets that went around the bushing.  They're in good shape other than where I drilled out the welds.   If they'd be useful to someone, PM me and I'll be happy send them to a new home.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Dakota on June 02, 2019, 10:44:55 AM
I'm not re-using the "u" shaped portion of the brackets that went around the bushing.  They're in good shape other than where I drilled out the welds.   If they'd be useful to someone, PM me and I'll be happy send them to a new home.

PM sent  :bigthumb:

Dakota

Quote from: Bullitt- on June 02, 2019, 04:20:08 AM
I took this measurement from my '73 that should suffice .. 10" from the point the frame bends upward to the lower hole.. the bracket will serve as a template

I test fit the brackets.   Yep - right about 10".   As Alan stated, they only fit in one spot on each frame rail.

Didn't notice this before, but there's a pretty strong bevel on the original rubber bushing.