Main Menu

Manual to Power Steering Conversion

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, October 13, 2019, 06:48:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Now that my RT is going to be gone soon, I can start thinking about getting back to my other 70 Challenger. I thought I'd like the manual steering feel but driving the RT with manual steering just wasn't fun. I know now that I want to upgrade to power steering in this other Challenger that I plan to keep. I have time to plan this out while the car is still a shell. I am not fixated on keeping this car in pure stock form.

I do now that the steering shaft in my manual steering car is longer than a power steering one and if I recall, it's also a little bit larger diameter. I think I want to go with a Borgeson box and I found the Bergman adaptor so I can maintain the slip joint coupling.

Am I correct in assuming that I cannot use a manual steering column shaft for this conversion no matter what? Even if I cut it shorter, it seems the larger diameter would still stop me. I can try to find a power steering column shaft but those things have become stupid expensive. Like an idiot, I had several columns from power steering cars and sold them all off.

Chryco Psycho

As I recall the shaft size makes no difference , if they are different which I doubt as the cross pin & shoes slide into the coupler the same way , the coupler is what is different for the different spines on the steering box which you have solved .
As far as using the same shaft you can break the nylon pins & the shaft will slide together to shorten it , they are often already broken anyway .
I would advertize first for a power steering shaft , they are more common before damaging the manual shaft , all you need in the inner shaft not the whole column . :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

Ok, that makes sense on diameter but I do need to shorten it. I'll advertise as you suggest. I've seen other folks looking for them from time to time and they don't seem as plentiful as they once were. I am going to the Fall Fling in two weeks so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one there.

RUNCHARGER

The splined shaft on the PS and MB boxes are different, the steering column shaft size is the same.
Sheldon

drew43a

I change to power steering on my 70 cuda.  i found the coupler  on ebay for like $60.00 way cheaper then an aftermarket and i knocked the steering shaft together to make it shorter.
does anyone know if you can change the seal behind the pitman arm without removing the steering box from the car?

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: drew43a on October 17, 2019, 11:37:01 AM
I change to power steering on my 70 cuda.  i found the coupler  on ebay for like $60.00 way cheaper then an aftermarket and i knocked the steering shaft together to make it shorter.
does anyone know if you can change the seal behind the pitman arm without removing the steering box from the car?

I did it once on a GM but not sure on a Mopar. I would guess it's possible though it won't be a fun job.