Main Menu

Manual to power steering conversion round 2.... is Borgeson the way to go?

Started by GrandpaKevin, March 01, 2021, 12:39:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

A few years ago I converted the manual steering in my wife's Challenger to power steering.
With that conversion I replaced the entire manual steering column with a rebuilt power steering column and used a power steering box from Steer & Gear, sport level.
I installed a tombstone type power steering pump, correct brackets, pulleys and belts.
The set up has worked perfectly and has been leak free for the last three or four years with the only complaint, as from most, is the steering feel is still a bit too easy/vague.

So I'm gathering the parts to do an engine/trans. removal and refresh in my Challenger and I'm thinking while the engine is out I would do a manual to power steering conversion on my car.
In doing some research I see that there is a kit sold by Borgeson  https://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/999065/10002/-1

And also a kit from Bergman using Borgeson parts.  https://bergmanautocraft.com/product/borgeson-steering-box-conversion-master-kit/
These kits seem very complete and easier to install and maybe a bit cheaper then replacing the entire steering column and steering box?

First for those have done this conversion are they happy with it?
It looks like the box is a 14 to 1 ratio, is that too much?

The kit from Bergman is more expensive and uses a coupler to the gearbox similar to a Mopar type while the Borgeson kit uses a different U joint type coupler.
I've never been the biggest fan of the Mopar type coupler and wonder why Bergman uses it.
I've also heard the Bergman kit has a specially calibrated power steering pump to work better with the Borgeson steering box?
I've seen mention of needing to use a power steering cooler which I'd rather not unless absolutely needed.
This is going to be a street driven car and I don't expect to be tossing it around too many hard corners.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

7212Mopar

No cutting of steering shaft with the Bergman adapter and everything is reversible. Downside is cost. The Bergeson box will be quite an improvement over stock with good center and no back and forth of the steering wheel to keep car straight. Do not expect to match modern cars with a good rack and pinion. 14 to 1 is still slow for spirited driving. It will not improve turning radius.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Ebody Edgar

Be forwarned that your vehicle may have geometry issues with the front end for which the borgeson box will not like and therefore you will have installation and alignment issues that the seller will not be able or unwilling to help you correct. This is nothing new with the aftermarket box. Good luck. 

I would shim the ps pump to reduce the pressure and spend my money elsewhere

Cudajason

Have you thought about the stage 3 Firm Feel box.  I hear great things about them.  Planning one for my car.

The other option is to reduce the pressure in the pump.  that improves feel a bit.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

70vert

I have the Firm Feel Stage 2 which is a definite improvement, I'm sure the Stage 3 is tighter (better). I think the advantage of the Borgeson/Bergman unit is the small size, which comes at a steep price. And maybe that it is a complete kit for conversion. There may be other kits out there with stock style parts.

Quote from: Cudajason on March 02, 2021, 07:23:05 AM
Have you thought about the stage 3 Firm Feel box.  I hear great things about them.  Planning one for my car.

The other option is to reduce the pressure in the pump.  that improves feel a bit.

Jason