Main Menu

Master Cylinder 2229171

Started by 71GranCoupe, May 01, 2024, 05:21:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

Hopefully someone can decode the numbers on this master cylinder. Trying to see if it is close to my car with a build date of 802 of 1969, an early 1970 model. Thanks for any assistance on this one.

mtull

The casting number appears to be 86? I think this is the 86th day of 1969. [ edit: oops, perhaps that casting date is 198th day of 1969?  I may have been reading it upside down]

The assembly date stamped on the side is the 230th day of 1969.  August 18th, 1969.  The stamped numbers above the assembly date (last I read) are unknown but believed to have something to do with internal processes?

MoparCarGuy

@mtull is correct.  230th day of 1969. Your Scheduled Production Date (SPD) is 802 or August 2, 1970 so the MC you have was made after your SPD.
Maybe @6bblgt can provide some info on when your car actually was in process on the assembly line. It would be unusual for an 802 SPD to be produced weeks after this MC's production but it is possible.
Do you have other date coded items on the car that are after your SPD?
This is the supporting info for the MC in your picture.

71GranCoupe

I really appreciate all the response about the date and date codes. After a message from a member about date codes on the fender tag, it was then that I looked at the door tag and the car did have a delayed delivery date for the following month. With being a new model year and since the car came with many options, it was more than likely the line was waiting for parts to finish it. I attached a picture of the door tag showing it was not finished/shipped until 9-1969. With this in mind, the dated master cylinder could possibly be within the time frame of being correct. At least it is close.