Main Menu

Master Cylinder/Booster finishes

Started by Mrbill426, May 21, 2020, 04:26:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I know this has probably been asked and answered a dozen times here but for a '72 E-body was the original booster "plated", painted black (what finish), or left bare metal?  I assume the master cylinder was left bare but the same question goes for the m/c cover?  Front disc, read drum.
Maybe there is a "pined" thread somewhere that talks about detailing finishes that I have missed?
Thanks 

Rich G.

I might be wrong but I thought they were all black and none were  plated .

JH27N0B

The Midland Ross (?) boosters used starting in '71 were plated.  The Bendix boosters used in 70 and on some 71s were the ones painted black.
The master cylinders were painted or coated in some sort of gunmetal gray finish.

Mrbill426

Thanks guys... and for '72 and beyond non-midland boosters?
M/c covers... cadmium, black, bare metal? 

Burdar

Midland Ross boosters are the ones with a band holding the two halves together.  They are plated gold zinc.  The Bentix boosters are crimped together.  Those were painted black.  The master cylinders used on the Midland Ross boosters are bare/unpainted.  Most people think the lids are gold zinc and maybe some of them were.  However, look at this picture of an October built 73.  The lid is not plated.  It might be phosphate or some other coating but it looks bare metal as well.

The master cylinders were painted black in 1970 when paired with the Bendix boosters.  They were painted as an assembly...not separately.  Some 74s came with a Bendix booster.  I'm not sure about 72's.  I'm also not sure if the 74 cars that came with a Bendix had black painted master cylinders.

Rich G.

Good info. Always learning something here.

JH27N0B

The NOS master cylinders from that era that I've had, were all coated in that phosphate gray finish.  Casting, lid, even the bale wire.

Mrbill426

@Burdar thanks... Looks like I misidentified my booster as it is held together by a band clamp making it a Midland Ross.  So I guess gold zinc plating and a bare metal is in order for booster and m/c.  That air cleaner in the photo is a bit under-kill I think.

Quote from: Burdar on May 22, 2020, 05:44:35 AM
Midland Ross boosters are the ones with a band holding the two halves together.  They are plated gold zinc.  The Bentix boosters are crimped together.  Those were painted black.  The master cylinders used on the Midland Ross boosters are bare/unpainted.  Most people think the lids are gold zinc and maybe some of them were.  However, look at this picture of an October built 73.  The lid is not plated.  It might be phosphate or some other coating but it looks bare metal as well.

The master cylinders were painted black in 1970 when paired with the Bendix boosters.  They were painted as an assembly...not separately.  Some 74s came with a Bendix booster.  I'm not sure about 72's.  I'm also not sure if the 74 cars that came with a Bendix had black painted master cylinders.

Banana

@Burdar:

In regards the 1970 master/booster being painted black as an assembly - did they include the wire harness bracket attached to the left-side of the Master? or did they remove the nuts from the master, then install the wire bracket?

Thanks

Bullitt-

My '73 with Midland Ross booster is the gold cad or zinc & originally the M/C cover was the same... I remember in the late '70's when the original M/C crapped out I was POed that the replacement, probably remanufactured M/C  had a crappy looking grey cover on it.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Burdar

Quoten regards the 1970 master/booster being painted black as an assembly - did they include the wire harness bracket attached to the left-side of the Master? or did they remove the nuts from the master, then install the wire bracket?

Not sure on that one.  My guess is that would have been installed before the assembly was painted but not sure.  Just thinking about it like the factory would.  You wouldn't want someone on the line having to install that bracket an then install the unit on the car.  It would be much easier if the assemblies arrived at the factory ready to go.