Main Menu

need front end alignment after adjusting ride height?

Started by Dakota, October 08, 2020, 05:19:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Meyer

You cant get 5* caster on any ebody with stock strut rods! Period....

I had a 55 chevy with added caster to the upper control arm they said it would add 3* caster it didnt max with shims etc was 3* most new cars are around 3,5*

Still i dont see why anyone use a mustang as a reference to wheel alignment since its totally different!

Another thing is the alignment tools these days are way to precise compared to the ones back in the day with 2 mirrors on the ground for toe.... its overkill these alignment machines on these old cars....they are not that sensitive compred to new tight suspension cars

Bullitt-

Here is a good article that address the changes to make if your using radial tires with easy to understand explanations as to why the factory specs are not optimal
https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

As to why use the later model mustang as a reference one only needs to look at the #s and you will see the recommended settings in the article "typ, perf. street" are the same 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on October 10, 2020, 08:02:31 PM
0 - 1/2° negative camber and as much caster as you need
And this is where the mustang spec comes in.

If you want factory, no problem. Have at it. But if you want your car to handle better, then take advantage of the last 50 years of suspension science. Just my  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I always max the caster to the limit available , -1/2* of camber & set the toe in

njsteve

I don't mean to hijack but what would the recommended specs be for my 70 Cuda 340, with manual steering, totally stock suspension rebuild, and reproduction bias ply F70x14s? I have to get it aligned soon...well next spring actually, once I get the interior in, new dash, and wiring hooked up...

HP2

Stock specs, unless you don't mind a bit of increased effort and then maybe zero caster instead of negative.