Main Menu

New guy - Suspension question for 70 Barracuda Convertible Gran Coupe

Started by G30, July 22, 2021, 08:16:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

G30

first post - my small-block '70 CG Convert is a 100% driver and I haven't done much with it in 20 years, but drive it - happily.  The suspension needs love and my questions are: were the rear leaf springs different between a small block hard-top and a convertible?  Mine has been converted from the original 318 (still have it) to a 360 with Holly Sniper... and the 14" wheels have been replaced with 15"s.  I like the current stance, which is fairly low and even, front to back.  Any advice on shocks and springs?  Also, I'm not sure where to start with the (power) steering, which works ok, but it's "swimmy" and I don't know how best to tighten that up?  I'm definitely not a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to give things a try before bringing it to a pro if I fail. Any words of wisdom?  And thanks for letting me join the club here - G30   

Chryco Psycho

I see no reason for the leaf springs to differ between a hardtop or vert .
You can make big changes with shocks  , KYB is similar to installing solid rods it will ride like a dump truck  , decent shocks like Bilstein ride very well & double adjustable such as QA1  can really dial in the ride to the way you like it .
There is a 5/8 nut on the top cover on the power steering , you can loosen the nut & use an allen wrench to snug up the center bolt , this will remove play , this is best done with the front wheels in the center position , you can feel the center bolt go tight when the play is removed but you do not want to leave it tight or the steering can be tight over center , so back it off 1/4 turn or more once it gets snug .
Welcome to the site @G30

dodj

Welcome to the site g30 :wave:
Even properly adjusted, Mopar steering boxes are over boosted. So that 'swimmy'  feel will likely stay with you until you replace the box with a firm feel box or a steer'n'gear box. They are rebuilt originals,  but changed internally to have more road feel.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

G30

Thanks for the help on this. I'll get busy in the weeks ahead. -G30

EV2RTSE

I would go with a 'Stage 3' steering box rebuild by Firm Feel, but in the meantime, the attachment is an article for a mod you can try that should help a bit.

BIGSHCLUNK

Yes, I'd suggest a level 3 box also. Mines from steer n gear, been in for years already w/o issue. Bilstien shocks too !