Main Menu

original 15 x 7 rallye wheels and trim rings

Started by Challenger in NC, August 10, 2020, 05:13:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Those do look really nice. It's big money but not really out of line. with Polyglass tires and original trim rings on 15x7's.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 10, 2020, 05:31:37 AM
Those do look really nice. It's big money but not really out of line. with Polyglass tires and original trim rings on 15x7's.

I might be tempted at $2000 incl. shipping for the wheels and trim rings but not $3000. Although don't know reserve. It says wheels are original, wonder if that means the trim rings are? Hard to make out details on the rings.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Challenger in NC on August 10, 2020, 05:45:53 AM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 10, 2020, 05:31:37 AM

I might be tempted at $2000 incl. shipping for the wheels and trim rings but not $3000. Although don't know reserve. It says wheels are original, wonder if that means the trim rings are? Hard to make out details on the rings.
Definitely factory rings.

340Challman

It's hard to tell, but the trim rings look to be originally brushed that someone then tried to polish. They just don't look as mirrored as they should be to me. My trim rings are much more mirrored than those. Granted mine are not originals. That seems high to me. No matter how I break it down piece by piece, I still end up with the trim rings being over $300 each, which is all I would want. I don't know.  :dunno:  Maybe with no decent option on trim rings, you have to eat it. :crying:
Kevin

Shane Kelley

There are 2 options on trim rings. Brushed or polished. Here's some original brushed ones on my buddies T/A.

Challenger in NC

Interesting. I can see some of the brushed finish but it is not as pronounced as I would have thought. They still appear somewhat polished since you can see quite a bit of reflection.

340Challman

So Shane, aren't 70 supposed to be polished only? I thought brushed was 71 and later.

Actually I had almost talked myself into it, but I kept noticing the trim ring on the third wheel back seems to have a warble that doesn't quite look right. I thought about maybe it's just not down all the way, but the change in gap with the wheel seems to change too abruptly. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but if I'm going all in at that price, they better be perfect.  :alan2cents:
Kevin

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 340Challman on August 10, 2020, 09:12:54 AM
So Shane, aren't 70 supposed to be polished only? I thought brushed was 71 and later.

I don't know the answer to that for sure. My 71 Road Runner with 15x7's has polished on it and it's a 8/71 build. Did someone change them in the past? Hard to say for sure. But I think 70 was the brushed ones from what I have seen the most and believe to be factory original. The ones on my buddies T/A look more brushed in person and probably shinier than they should be. He probably did a little to much polishing on them when he restored the car back in the late 80's. @headejm has what he believes to be the factory rings on his 70 R/T and they are definitely brushed.

340Challman

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 10, 2020, 09:27:53 AM
I don't know the answer to that for sure. My 71 Road Runner with 15x7's has polished on it and it's a 8/71 build. Did someone change them in the past? Hard to say for sure. But I think 70 was the brushed ones from what I have seen the most and believe to be factory original. The ones on my buddies T/A look more brushed in person and probably shinier than they should be. He probably did a little to much polishing on them when he restored the car back in the late 80's. @headejm has what he believes to be the factory rings on his 70 R/T and they are definitely brushed.

That's interesting.

Have you ever straightened trim rings? I'm just wondering if there is a warble, whether I'd be able to remove it. I'm very tempted because the aftermarket trim rings are garbage in my opinion, but this is some serious coin for me and I'm not sure I should be spending it here.
Kevin

headejm

@6bblgt has researched this topic and we have discussed it a couple of times on here. If you have your broadcast sheet, it will tell you what your car "should have been" built with. My broadcast sheet calls out 43 but my trim rings are 22. I believe they are original to the car.

Shane Kelley

The way the rings are made I don't see anyway to really fix them.

340Challman

:looney: Well, I bought them. After they arrive, I'll let you guys know if  :Thud: happens.
Kevin

Challenger in NC

Shane Kelley

Quote from: headejm on August 10, 2020, 09:53:38 AM
@6bblgt has researched this topic and we have discussed it a couple of times on here. If you have your broadcast sheet, it will tell you what your car "should have been" built with. My broadcast sheet calls out 43 but my trim rings are 22. I believe they are original to the car.

And here I have the opposite with my Road Runner. Car came with 43 (polished) but my build sheet list 22 (brushed) for wheel cover. Possibilities are endless. Maybe new purchaser saw the other style on a different car and the dealer swapped them out. Maybe the guy on the line didn't pay attention to the build sheet and on and on.