Main Menu

Power Steering Pump (Saginaw)

Started by Marc70challenger, April 14, 2017, 04:46:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc70challenger

I'm not complaining, because we've had great luck with our Challenger after working out some build bs we fixed.

But, the power steering pump "weeps" (best description I can give it) ... at the back at the lowest (what I think) is mounting bolt.  Just maybe a drip or two a trip.

It's not where any of the the lines connect - I am sure of that. And its at that bottom bolt .. to best of my analysis.  I've tightened them all.  Still seems to weep a little.

Is this a "typical" issue with some?  Or maybe there's a small crack I cannot see? 

I'll just leave it and watch it.  Never enough to even puddle on k-member.  I drive it, then check it.  I can wipe it off with my fingers.  IF it worsens then I may take it off and put new one ... or maybe rebuild it.

Thanks for any ideas or comments.

Cuda Cody

Is it the pump or the antifreeze?  What engine do you have?  I think the mounting bolt goes in to the water passage and you can fix it by putting some sealant on the bolt.   :dunno:

Chryco Psycho

Omega sells rebuild kits
the is a seal inside the reservoir that is likely damaged .

Burdar

There are O rings around the bolt holes. The O rings are between the pump body and the reservoir. You can get a new seal kit at Advance Auto for around $15 I think. You might find it cheaper on RockAuto. Remove the two bolts/studs on the back as well as the fitting. Once those are removed, the reservoir will come off. It can be stuck pretty good so take your time. It's just held on by tension from a large O ring around the circumference. Once the reservoir is off, you'll see the O rings that need to be replaced. Some seal kits also come with a new shaft bushing.

You might try some power steering stop leak additive if it's a really small leak.

A.Gramz

Quote from: Burdar link=topic=1484.msg21320#msg21320 date=1492218217.

You might try some power steering stop leak additive if it's a really small leak.
/quote]

My   :alan2cents:  I wouldn't use stuff like that causes more problems down the road. Cheap fix now expensive fix later  :alan2cents:

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 14, 2017, 05:00:46 PM
Is it the pump or the antifreeze?  What engine do you have?  I think the mounting bolt goes in to the water passage and you can fix it by putting some sealant on the bolt.   :dunno:

340.   Ya - its definitely PS fluid.

It wouldn't be fun if there weren't something to fiddle with.  :wrenching:   :veryexcited:

Marc70challenger

Thanks guys. I figured it was a 10 cent seal or O ring. Lol.

Maybe give me something to do on a rainy day this summer.  Thanks!!!

Marc70challenger

Quote from: A.Gramz on April 14, 2017, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: Burdar link=topic=1484.msg21320#msg21320 date=1492218217.

/quote]

My   :alan2cents:  I wouldn't use stuff like that causes more problems down the road. Cheap fix now expensive fix later  :alan2cents:

Ya. I've used stuff like that for weepy freeze plugs effectively before.  I'm not so sure on power steering systems.  :dunno: