Main Menu

Proportioning Valve & Metering Block 1970 Disc Brake Cuda

Started by bs23j0b, November 25, 2020, 07:38:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bs23j0b

Can someone post pics of the prop and metering valves (including the numbers) that would be correct for an AAR (discs). I need to find an OEM one - I can not get the brake lines (mild steel) to seal on the aftermarket repro version. The brake line has actually grooved the dome machined into the female end and it still will not seal.

TGGodfrey

contact Sylvain Gaucher on FB.... he should be able to get you one.

Sorry I don't have pictures on mine with me

Terry

EV2RTSE

Quote from: bs23j0b on November 25, 2020, 07:38:17 AM
The brake line has actually grooved the dome machined into the female end and it still will not seal.

There seems to be a lot of that going around! Here's a pic. 

EV2RTSE

Here's one more from my R/T SE before I tore it apart, it was built right in among the AAR's and T/A's in late March of 1970.

mopar jack

the best luck I have with brake lines is to start off snug and if leaks tighten a little more and if it still leaks I loosen and rotate line and re tighten. Always use proper flared tube wrenches. Also beware of the fitting on the hold off valve posted above. When tightening your wrench will bottom on the body and is in a hard to see position making it feel like it is tight.

bs23j0b

Thank you. Maybe the brass on the Chinese repro's is softer than the OEM brass... Additionally, I have a standard set of line wrenches which as pointed out are hard to find a start and ending position where you can get much turn out of the fitting. I also own a set of Chrysler Master Tech Loc-Rite Wrenches by Kelsey-Hays which have 9 points which work much better in tight areas. Great for those six-pack fuel fittings also.

EV2RTSE

Quote from: bs23j0b on November 25, 2020, 11:08:00 AM
I also own a set of Chrysler Master Tech Loc-Rite Wrenches by Kelsey-Hays which have 9 points which work much better in tight areas. Great for those six-pack fuel fittings also.

Great info - I kind of had a feeling there were special wrenches out there for the fittings on these valves - now where to get my hands on a set? They don't seem to be easy to find.

bs23j0b

Set up a search and alert on ebay - several sets come up every year.

68bee

Here is the Proportion valve from my 407 build date AAR

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: EV2RTSE on November 25, 2020, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: bs23j0b on November 25, 2020, 11:08:00 AM
I also own a set of Chrysler Master Tech Loc-Rite Wrenches by Kelsey-Hays which have 9 points which work much better in tight areas. Great for those six-pack fuel fittings also.

Great info - I kind of had a feeling there were special wrenches out there for the fittings on these valves - now where to get my hands on a set? They don't seem to be easy to find.

Even though they only have 9 points they are referred to as 12 point wrenches cause thats what a full circle would take....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wrench-3-8-X-7-16-Flare-Nut-12Pt/283565575633?hash=item4205d34dd1:g:fJAAAOSws6ldQO0P

EV2RTSE

I was able to score a set of the wrenches on ebay and have to say, if nothing else they are cool just because they say Chrysler on them - but also found this info about the patented design - for anyone working with brake lines, etc. these seem to be the way to go! Good stuff.
I guess there are other similar designs on the market but for a good Snap-On set they seem to run in the hundreds of dollars, I paid about $50 for these. Way better than the run-of-the-mill tubing wrenches I have.