Main Menu

Proportioning valve cleanup

Started by Mrbill426, May 22, 2020, 08:51:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I want to clean up this proportioning valve but before I open it up is there anything I should know... do's and don'ts; is anything going to launch across the shop to be lost forever?  :Thud:
Any reassembly tips?

mopartaz

I referred to a factory diagram, there are springs in there ,just be careful in dis-assembly. But i could not  dis -assembly fully. I believe a previous post covered this. I pulled mine off the car because it wasnt letting the fluid through. I luckily had another  in storage from a parts car that works. Apparently they arent reproducing that model proprtining valve.

1 Wild R/T

As your un-screw the caps the tension on the springs is released... Not a problem, have fun...

Burdar

I've got an exploded view of that valve on my work computer.  That will have to wait until Tuesday. 

It's good that your lines are still attached.  If they sit for awhile with no lines attached, they will rust up inside.  Yours looks like it's in great shape.  You can plug the ports and soak it in EvapoRust to clean up the outside.  If the inside is rusted, you can soak it too.

750-h2

With all the ports blocked off I glass beaded mine and then polished it with a soft wire brush on a bench grinder. Looks brand new! :bigthumb:

Mrbill426

It looks like it does because I glass beaded it about 8 years ago and painted a clear coat on it which obviously did not hold up considering it has been in a box indoors since.
I will get some of that EvapoRust and start over.  Exploded view would be welcome  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Burdar on May 23, 2020, 05:49:45 AM
I've got an exploded view of that valve on my work computer.  That will have to wait until Tuesday. 

It's good that your lines are still attached.  If they sit for awhile with no lines attached, they will rust up inside.  Yours looks like it's in great shape.  You can plug the ports and soak it in EvapoRust to clean up the outside.  If the inside is rusted, you can soak it too.

Burdar

Here is the exploded view.

Mrbill426

@Burdar  Ahh very cool thank you :bigthumb:
I ordered some Evaporust and should have it by next week to give it a good dunking.  I am hoping it is not all locked up inside.
That bracket pops off??

Quote from: Burdar on May 26, 2020, 06:52:24 AM

Burdar

Mrbill426

Bullitt-

@Burdar  Did you replace the O-rings or more?   
I'm aware of these "kits" .. Looks like there's 3 of them available to do everything

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/content/1979-gm-kelsey-hayes-combination-valve-autopsy
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Burdar

My valve was sitting "open" for years.  It was rusted up inside.  I soaked it in EvapoRust which cleaned up the outside but the large valve assembly on the right side of the picture was rusted in.  It came out in pieces.  I soaked it again once that valve was out to clean up the inside.  I was not able to get the brass valves out.(I think this was before I found the exploded view to see how it came apart)   Since those were brass(and can't rust), I just left them in place.  I found a replacement valve that I was able to use for parts...and replaced that valve assembly that was broken.

Mrbill426

@Burdar  Ok I soaked mine in Evaporust (that stuff works pretty darn good) and got the switch and thinner valve and spring out, but how did you get the larger valve on the end out; the one with the 7/8" nut?  Using a 1/2" drive 6-point with a breaker bar I can't get it to budge and the "nut" portion is so thin you can barely get a grip on it.   :huh:

:wrenching:

Quote from: Burdar on May 26, 2020, 06:52:24 AM

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 07, 2020, 07:13:47 AM
@Burdar  Ok I soaked mine in Evaporust (that stuff works pretty darn good) and got the switch and thinner valve and spring out, but how did you get the larger valve on the end out; the one with the 7/8" nut?  Using a 1/2" drive 6-point with a breaker bar I can't get it to budge and the "nut" portion is so thin you can barely get a grip on it.   :huh:

On something like that I would use a box end wrench, then use a C clamp to capture the wrench & the far end of the valve so the wrench can't slip off...  Mount the valve in a vise & smack the wrench with a hammer, the shock will help break it free...

YellowThumper

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 07, 2020, 08:33:34 AM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 07, 2020, 07:13:47 AM

On something like that I would use a box end wrench, then use a C clamp to capture the wrench & the far end of the valve so the wrench can't slip off...  Mount the valve in a vise & smack the wrench with a hammer, the shock will help break it free...

Good idea with the C clamp. Gonna log that info away.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.