Main Menu

Coil Over Rear Shocks

Started by Vvellajr, January 25, 2021, 08:48:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Vvellajr

Has anyone had any success in mounting regular coil over shocks on the rear of their E-Body? I realize there are a bunch of very high performance and very costly coil over shocks but I'm looking more for a standard off-the-shelf coil over shocks similar to the Monroe load adjuster. Appreciate your support if you can tell me which shock  work for you.

Chryco Psycho

2 issues here
First the coil over works against the leaf spring & causes an oscillation which gets the tires to hook then unload & hook again & unload again bouncing .
Second the crossmember is not designed for that kind of load & needs to be re-enforced .

Vvellajr

what crossmember, sorry new to Mopars.  The if not coil overs what do you recommend? Right now it has air shock which are too stiff in my view.

anlauto

Quote from: Vvellajr on January 25, 2021, 09:41:50 AM
what crossmember, sorry new to Mopars.  The if not coil overs what do you recommend? Right now it has air shock which are too stiff in my view.

The shock absorber crossmember .
The best way would be new leaf springs  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

New leaf springs and a quality single or double adjustable shock.

My leafs are from Eaton Detroit Spring and I have QA1 single adjustable shocks.
Real good street setup.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

hanksemenec

I am in the middle of rebuild. The car came with coil overs and I can see cracks in the cross member.

Brads70

Quote from: Skdmark on January 25, 2021, 10:47:48 AM
New leaf springs and a quality single or double adjustable shock.

My leafs are from Eaton Detroit Spring and I have QA1 single adjustable shocks.
Real good street setup.

:iagree: Good advice!  I have QA1 double adjustables with no regrets . Coil overs will do the same thing as air shocks, damage the upper shock mounts.  :stop:
Here is another good supplier for springs.
https://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm