Main Menu

Replacing lower ball joints advice

Started by xx88man, September 22, 2019, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Yeah, me too, but in this case it's not happening.... FWIW I typically go through the whole front suspension, upper Lower ball joints, upper & lower bushings, strut rod bushings, tie rods, idler, sway bar bushings all of it takes me six hours... So someone who's never been there before can expect two full days or more... Then it's gotta be aligned...

Just the lower bushings & loser ball joints I can get done in a couple hours... But I've done a few.. New guy it could easily take a day..   And again go get an alignment...

Which is why I prefer to do it all & only align it once..

xx88man

Yes the car is a driver. The truth is I want to get it to pass out-of-province inspection so that I can occasionally drive the car.  Winter is coming so I'm hoping to put off major repairs until then.
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Yeah:If it will pass with just the BJ's I say go for it in this instance. I'm thinking you pull out the lowers, then you might as well blast them and paint them, change the shocks and you better pull the uppers and blast and paint them and change the upper BJs and bushings. Then when you're that far you might as well drop out the K, inspect it, then clean and powdercoat it. That's how it goes for me anyway.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 23, 2019, 08:26:04 PM
Yeah:If it will pass with just the BJ's I say go for it in this instance. I'm thinking you pull out the lowers, then you might as well blast them and paint them, change the shocks and you better pull the uppers and blast and paint them and change the upper BJs and bushings. Then when you're that far you might as well drop out the K, inspect it, then clean and powdercoat it. That's how it goes for me anyway.

I've done it both ways.. I prefer the clean, powder coat, detailed approach but many people don't want to pay for that so you just do the best job you can & send it down the road...

MoparLeo

Every body here should know that the first thing to do is get a FSM and read it. Then you will know how much of a job it will be for You. Always get a friend to help. Easier and safer. Proper tools. Pickle forks destroy the ball joint boots on the tie rods. Before you start taking anything apart do or have a proper inspection done on the complete front suspension. If it needs attention, better to do as much as you can at the same time. Saves a lot of time. Buy quality parts. Use good grease and lube the whole front end while you are there.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...