Main Menu

Rebuilding lower control arms

Started by Sly, July 31, 2017, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sly

Hello guys (and girls !), I am in a process of rebuilding the lower control arms of my 71 Challenger. It's the only front end part that hasn't been rebuilt in my car.
From what I saw, there are not many choices when it comes to rebuild kits for our LCAs.

The PST rebuild kit (standard and deluxe) looks pretty good but not cheap, the pivot arms are included which is cool, and has also reinforcing plates :
http://p-s-t.com/c-1176184-suspension-control-arms-mopar-lower-control-arm-rebuilding-kit.html
Any feedback on those ?

There are also the classic rubber MOOG bushings but they don't provide new pivot shafts, but cost way less ($10 per side).

What do you suggest to do ? How do you do it ?

Thanks  :handshake:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Sly

Thanks ! So you don't change the pivot, only the bushings ?

anlauto

Correct, use the original pivots.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Sly

Thank you !

There is also this Hotchkis kit :
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hss-3006/overview/
Pivot included and a bit less that the PST kit, what does it worth ?

anlauto

Your first decision is whether or not you want rubber or polyurethane. You can't mix them you have to do all or nothing.
New pivots is not necessary, they don't wear out.

Sly

OK that's what I wondered, do they wear or not ? I should have asked first :)
You answered it ! Will go for the MOOG rubber part :) I am not a fan of polyurethan

Cuda Cody

I've had good luck with Moog and recently AC Delco.  Both have been working good for me   :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

RUNCHARGER

I've had good luck with Moog so far. The pivots are reusable but don't damage them of course.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I've not had very good luck with Polyurethane either.  But some people love them.  I would use the factory style Moog if I was you.

Quote from: Sly on July 31, 2017, 06:25:30 AM
Will go for the MOOG rubber part :) I am not a fan of polyurethan

lulurocks(Ken)

Moog hands down  :iagree:    The quality is just second to none. Imo