Main Menu

Stainless brake/fuel lines?

Started by FSHTAIL, October 31, 2022, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

73 Cuda 340..   

I need to replace the brake line that goes from the firewall to the back of the car and the fuel line because, why not... 

I found one place called Inline Tube, but they don't appear to have just that 1 single line for the brakes, so I emailed them.   
I see 2 different sizes for fuel lines.    5/16th and 3/8th       I'm not entirely certain what size it is and the car is barricaded in at the moment (having carpet installed in the house) 

Is there another company for brake/fuel lines?        I'm not too worried about originality, just want to do them all in stainless. 

Are there any tips/tricks for using the search?      I never seem to have any luck...
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

JonH

FE5CUDA

Finelines 330-355-5000.  Think twice about using SS, they can be very difficult to seal since a SS flare will not conform to the seat since the material is rock hard.

FSHTAIL

Fine lines had everything I needed and more
I was able to successfully search the website and find out that a small block would use the smaller line, got lucky on that
Thanks for the help.   

Dakota

Quote from: FE5CUDA on October 31, 2022, 10:13:47 PM
Think twice about using SS, they can be very difficult to seal since a SS flare will not conform to the seat since the material is rock hard.

This matches my experience with SS lines.   Expect to have to go through 6-8 cycles of tightening and loosening some of the fittings to finally get them all to seal.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Dakota on November 01, 2022, 03:49:56 AM
Quote from: FE5CUDA on October 31, 2022, 10:13:47 PM
Think twice about using SS, they can be very difficult to seal since a SS flare will not conform to the seat since the material is rock hard.

This matches my experience with SS lines.   Expect to have to go through 6-8 cycles of tightening and loosening some of the fittings to finally get them all to seal.

A former engineer for Ellis race chassis told me a trick, heat up the tip just a little bit before you insert and tighten and it'll work perfect the first time. 

I've never had any issues with stainless steel lines, you don't need to get it smoking hot, just hotter than you'd be able to touch it.   

Zero issues. 

Rich G.

I went with the standard lines on all my cars. I'll replace them again in the next 50 years.

1970Cuda

I have always used SS lines in all my cars and not had issues with sealing. And it is a good practice anyway to first tighten, then back off and finally retighten. They look so much better than standard lines and hardly a cost difference really.