Main Menu

So you overbuilt your motor and have low vacuum....

Started by HP_Cuda, October 30, 2021, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Guys

Haven't been around for awhile but thought I'd give you a potential solution other than hydro boost or other fancy somewhat dubious solutions like vacuum cans, etc. You see at first I wasn't too excited about electric vacuum pumps in the beginning because they were noisy and somewhat bulky. My problem was that I built up a motor which only provides 10" of vacuum at idle. Yes I have brakes but not what I expect while driving around other cars that have ABS.

After some research I came down to this solution: Bandit Electric Vacuum pump

It's literally the quietest I have found and provided reliable 18-21" of vacuum no matter what your motor is doing. Once my engine is running you never hear it.

As you can see from my engine bay photo it's hard to spot. That's because its mounted under the battery tray and when I say I used every little bit of room down there I'm no kidding. I also decided to run a Bosche Automotive 4 pin SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) relay so I can use a single wire from the blue/brown 12v switched power source and then take power directly from the battery. This way I bypass running current across that portion of the wiring harness. Yes it can probably handle the 10A draw but I thought based on the location of the pump and making things a bit cleaner it was the way to go.

I then routed the vacuum line out passed the power steering box and up under the power booster and around. Lastly I disconnected the vacuum line from the Holley and plugged it up. Works like a charm!

I look forward to years of pure braking enjoyment and rid of the lack of brake pressures of yesterday.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

Nice install, glad you found a solution!  Mine makes about 7-8 " of vacuum but run manual brakes with no issues! 

https://www.jegs.com/p/Leed-Brakes/Leed-Brakes-Bandit-Series-Electric-Vacuum-Pumps/6136244/10002/-1

Filthy Filbert

I have a vacuum pump from an Audi Q7 for just this purpose, should the need arise once I get to that point in my project

FSHTAIL

Why not upgrade your brakes with a hydroboost setup? 
Is that the only reason you did the vacuum pump?    Booster pressure for braking?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Chris D. on November 09, 2021, 07:50:02 PM
Is that the only reason you did the vacuum pump?    Booster pressure for braking?

Because this is cheaper.  Simpler.  More stock looking. And just as effective. 

Nothing wrong with hydroboost.  Kinda like "how do I make more hp?" You could add nitrous or build a stroker.  Both work; just depends on what you want.

Mopsquad

Nice stealth install!  Glad you found a quieter pump, they can be noisy.  I went with Hydroboost with my supercharged '65 Mustang and it works seemlessly. 

HP_Cuda

Thanks Brad as it took some real planning to make it a reality. You don't realize how many times I measured the area before I even bought the pump!

Quote from: Brads70 on October 30, 2021, 01:31:36 PM
Nice install, glad you found a solution!  Mine makes about 7-8 " of vacuum but run manual brakes with no issues! 

https://www.jegs.com/p/Leed-Brakes/Leed-Brakes-Bandit-Series-Electric-Vacuum-Pumps/6136244/10002/-1

HP_Cuda

Great question Chris

I made some modifications to my steering pump because I wanted greater feel from the steering wheel than the 1200 PSI stock you get. The other reason is that I didn't want to muck with the original look under the hood. I get a constant 18-21" of vacuum and it's very quiet.

I need to make some small changes with the proportioning valve but it now stops on a dime. Night and day difference.

B

Quote from: Chris D. on November 09, 2021, 07:50:02 PM

SilverFrost73

@HP_Cuda
Thank you for sharing. I'll also be doing this pump for the stock appearance look and the functionality of it.
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown

Spikedog08

I have been having issues with my power brakes as well and need to get to the bottom of my Problem . . so what is the desirable amount of vacuum needed to operate the brakes properly?  My brake pedal is hard and I really have to push it . . certainly makes me nervous . .  hoping to tackle this over the winter. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

YellowThumper

Nice clean install.
Options are good for everyone.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Fern

That looks great, I'm assuming you can't keep the original vacuum tied in? In case it fails. You have something?

SilverFrost73

Quote from: Spikedog08 on September 02, 2022, 05:37:56 AM
so what is the desirable amount of vacuum needed to operate the brakes properly?

Good question, I would also like to know this. :notsure:
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Unknown

Chryco Psycho

I believe 15" is around the minimum to operate correctly before you start to lose assist .
If you have power steering Hydroboost is awesome .

SilverFrost73

Unknown

Unknown