Main Menu

Space saver spare tire 70 Cuda

Started by Ccuda, July 12, 2022, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

I need a space saver tire for my 1970 tribute Cuda. The prices on EBay are out of site and one being 1750 for the bottle and tire. There are some for 500-600 plus shipping. I'll never use it since I have 15" Craigars and most are 14".
Does anyone know of another,Chevy,Ford ect that looks similar or I can pick up for a decent price or even one that want to part with for a reasonable price. ?I'd use a regular tire but could use the trunk room. I'll buy the new canister and attaching hardware but I just hate to be held up for a spare I'll never use.
Any Help and serious ideas will be appreciated.
Ccuda

Bpret

This is out of an AMC it was orange I painted it black. Not sure how much cheaper now.but I paid $50 for it probably 5 years ago. At quick glance you can't tell. I did it for the same reason I will never use it and didn't want to spend $2500 to fill my trunk with stuff I would never use.

anlauto

A lot of manufactures used them back in the day.

One thing to remember is E-Bodies only ever used BF Goodrich spare tires, NOT GoodYear, which is odd since the cars had GoodYear tires on them...

..but to get an accurate "look-a-like" you should try for the BFG's.....I'm going to Carlisle looking for two of them....I expect to pay in the $300 range
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benguin

Older Firebirds, maybe Camaros and other GMs have the correct BF Goodrich size space saver except for not having the V-1 notation molded in.

I picked up one from Galen G back in the early '80s at a Chicagoland Mopar show.  I think I paid something like $30-40 for it. The rim isn't a Mopar match, but hard to tell when stowed away.

If anyone could use a Goodyear version "Custom Mini-Space", I've got an F78-14 with no rim, and a nice Goodyear D78-14 with original paint *w/yellow backside) rim and sticker from an AMC that I'll let go for minimal cost.  I dug those out of a cabinet in my garage while looking for something else.

JH27N0B

I'm pretty sure it was Fords that used the same size BF Goodrich space saver tire as Mopars.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384848852108?
And I think the 70s Camaros and Firebirds that had space space savers had a tire that looked a lot different.

benguin

It's possible this one is a mismatch, as I had several collected from the shop I worked at back in high school.  The rim is definitely GM though based on bolt pattern and the hex fitting near the valve stem.  (see below internet pic- definitely NOT mine)

The tire matches Mopar's 1970 original though, except for the lack of "V-1", which only the members here would likely spot.  Interestingly enough, the D78-14 Goodyears I have does have a V-1 on it.

I've just starting looking up what this might have been used on , as someone might be looking for one.

Adding a picture of the incorrect rim/somewhat correct BFG that I've got in the trunk.

Jay Bee

@anlauto if you come up empty (or short) in Carlisle I'll sell you my Goodyear F78-14 on a Mopar rim. I'm thinking $400.00CAD is fair. If interested you can pick it up at my place on you way back home. Sorry Ccuda, probably way to expensive to ship from Canada.

anlauto

Thanks John for the offer. I'm not interested in a Goodyear, but my one friend might be interested, I'm going to Carlisle looking for one for him...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

I'm bringing 5 incorrect e body space savers to Carlisle - 2 BFG & 3 Goodyear

mccannix

Alan
What is it you're looking to pay $300.00 for, a generic F-78-14 bare tire I assume without the V-1 or would you settle for a 15 inch version.
There is a bare B. F. Goodrich, great shape, super nice tread on the Carlisle grounds today, albeit a G-78-15 for like asking $125.00
I had thought about grabbing it and putting it on a mid 70's Mopar 15 inch rim, the one with with the 6th hole...I know where a few of those are.
Great clone spacesaver for less than $300.00...spin the size up to the front so all that is seen is the B-F Goodrich and it looks great.
Guy also had same common Goodyear tire John shows minus a rim.
Stop around if you want and I'll show you what I have, although I cant give them away...
I had to hang up my Santa Claus outfit after a few give-away deals this year
From my experience true Mopar spacesavers all had the V-1 as did most Fords but not all depending on the year.
GM seldom had V-1, unless you find a Pontiac or Camaro  70-71 B F Goodrich and I have bought them with the V-1.
When it came to 72 up B F Goodrich had the large outlined Temporary Spare on the sidewall.
You can however turn those over for mounting on a Mopar rim and the flip side has the normal size B F Goodrich but it only has F-78-14 not the replaces 7:75-14  below it and you wont ge the V-1 on either side.
Just observations over the years, not etched in stone

benguin

Here's a couple of shots of the F78-14 Goodyear I've got, which may have been from an F-body or something from that era, may have been the tire I took off the non-Mopar rim in my trunk (it was a VERY long time ago).  IM me for any additional pics, or of the D78-14 AMC space saver below for any AMC fans you may know. 

If anyone knows what these really fit, I'd like to get these to someone who could use them.