Main Menu

steering center link question

Started by Yeya93, February 21, 2022, 10:34:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yeya93

Is there any aftermarket steering center link available for a 1970 challenger? i need one that's a bit lower that way my engine oil pan can clear.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

MoparLeo

What do you have, wrong oil pan or bad/wrong motor mounts? No centerlinks to correct clearance problems that I know of.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Katfish

anlauto

The center link in that picture looks to be on backwards  :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Yeya93

i think I'm gonna try a different oil pan to see if that will fix it. thanks for the replies everyone.

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

anlauto

Quote from: 70Barracuda on February 22, 2022, 08:08:52 AM
Which way does the centerlink go?

When looking down from the top, it should slightly angle towards the rear of the car, creating the appearance of a larger opening between it and the k frame :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparLeo

Here is the view from under the car.

anlauto

Yes, thank you...a pictures says a thousand words... :twothumbsup:

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Yeya93 on February 21, 2022, 10:34:35 PM
Is there any aftermarket steering center link available for a 1970 challenger? i need one that's a bit lower that way my engine oil pan can clear.

If the link is installed correctly & the link still touches the oil pan which I have seen a few times either new engine mounts to raise the engine a little or shimming the top bolts on the steering box & ovalling the hole in the K frame slightly to tip the idler arm down may give you the needed clearance .

MoparLeo

It does look to be on backwards. The center of the link should face rearwards, also giving more clearance to the rear of the sump. Looks very close to the sump.

HP2

No, there are no aftermarket center links to fix this problem.  Changing the oil pan also won't fix it. There are three ways to solve this, easiest to hardest:
1) ensure the link is installed correctly.
2) Adjust engine mounts to alter location of engine
   A)replace mounts that ma be compressed
   B)loosen and shift engine location
   C) shim to raise engine location
3)Shim steering box and file/weld idler mount to lower center link location.

Brads70

In addition, I used a B-Body center link . When I had my car blocked at ride height, and was checking out may parts combination to minimize  bump steer. With my combo I found it gave me slightly better bump steer measurements. I didn't run into any clearance issues, oil pan etc.. That being said other than the steering box and K-Frame nothing on my front end is stock for a regular E-Body.  What caught my eye is that the B-Body center link is symmetrical/mirror image and the stock ebody is not. Not sure why they did that? Ackerman steering maybe due to wheel base differences? Seems rather odd that the engineers made a E-Body specific part when the B-Body front end is pretty much the same. They could have just used the part they already had tooled up?  Maybe something to do with clearances or the T/A set up?  :notsure:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I've always wondered that as well. The first time I noticed it I thought I had a bent center link.
Sheldon