Main Menu

Performance drums/shoes?

Started by MarctheDrifter, May 23, 2018, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MarctheDrifter

I decided I want to keep the rear drums in my Challenger, but I would still like to increase their performance. I found this setup http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/stage36572charger.html which looks ideal, but seem to be for b-bodies and not e-bodies. Apologies for the newbie question, but is there a reason I couldn't use the b-body drum brake kit on my e-body?

Also, any other recommendations for aftermarket drum brakes/shoes are welcome. I don't need an OEM look, I just want good performance.

Chryco Psycho

Same brake system for B or E body , finned drums will help but will never match the performance of Disc ,
So the best you can do is better cooling with fins & superior compounds for the shoes , drums will always trap more heat than disc tho .
Keep in mind most people would never feel the difference between disc & drum rear as the rear only do 30% of the braking & most people do not use the brakes hard or often enough to overheat them .
Autocross is a different story being on the brakes near max stopping power numerous times in under a minute by the end of the run brake fade could be significant !!

Katfish

Have you put many miles on the car?
99% of the time you need to reduce the performance of the rear brakes to eliminate lock up.
I have 11.75 rotors up front and the large 11" finned drums in the rear.
I love the way the drums look behind the rim, >13" diameter.
But I've had to reduce the WC to 7/8" AND put 2" linings where they call for 2.5" to reduce surface area and I still have too much rear bias.
I would suggest improving the front brakes before looking at the rears since they do 70-80% of the braking.

cbuczesk

I road race a Datsun 240Z with stock brakes. Discs up front and drums in the rear. I use Motul 660 brake fluid, brake bias adjuster, Carbotech pads/shoes, ducts to the front and drilled lots of holes in the rear backing plate. I brake hard 6 times in a minute and a half. That includes braking from 125 down to 25, 100+ down to 20 and 100+ to 60ish.

If you aren't going to race then a set of the Carbotech pads/shoes and high temp brake fluid (but 660 or even 600 degrees). From there you can decide if you need to drill the brake ducts, add a brake bias and/or brake ducts.

Chuck

anlauto

I used these Muscle car brake twice, customers liked them....they work better then factory drum, but obviously not as good a disc brakes would....Under normal driving I really doubt it makes a difference.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

I'd agree with the other replies in here and add that perhaps you should not change anything until you have the chance to drive the car for a season in the applications you will use to see if you even have a problem with rear brake capability

I have added cooling ducts to drum brake systems, so it is possible and it does help to a small degree. I've simply added to 1" holes top and bottom on the backing plate and then fabbed a  duct from one hole to under the axle. This does force air into the drum when the car is moving and i used it primarily in rules limited oval track racing where rear discs were prohibited. It may not help much in a low speed/heavy brake use like autocross, but can give a bit more cooling to average driving.

MarctheDrifter

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'll just do a standard rebuild on the drums for now.

Chryco Psycho

I would try to buy the better brakes shoes from them if they will sell separate , they should it is a wearable part  :bigthumb: