Main Menu

Suspension Torquing Sequence?

Started by gzig5, September 10, 2018, 04:40:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I'm putting the front end back together after replacing every rubber bushing, ball joint, and rod end in the system.  I know that certain parts need to be torqued up with the car on the ground, but with it all loose, what is the order?  At this point the LCAs are in loose to the K-member, UCA are loose to the frame, strut rods loose, shocks are loose.  Upper/lower ball joints are torqued to the spindles.  Steering links, tie rods, Pitman, idler arm are all torqued up. That leaves the strut rods, LCA to frame, UCA to frame and the torsion bars.  Would the following be an appropriate process?

Torque the strut to the lower LCA, snug the LCA pivot up to frame.
Install torsion bars, get it on the ground and set ride height.    Is there a specific rotation orientation other than left and right handed? 
Torque front of strut rod to K member, torque LCA pivot, tighten shocks.
Ballpark the camber with the eccentrics and lock them up with weight on them.
Ballpark the toe in to 1/16-1/8".

test drive, repeat fine tune of alignment to get it to the shop for a proper job.

RUNCHARGER

I think you pretty much have it. I orient the T-bars so the part # is at the back but it isn't a big deal, they twist the same way installed that way or the opposite way.
Sheldon

gzig5

All done, goes straight down the road out of the box but it will get a proper alignment. 
Interesting note, the driver side torsion bar adjustment screw for the ride height is 3/8" further in than the other side for an equal measurement at the fender lip.  I was pretty sure that they were about equal when they were removed.  Not sure how that happens but nothing looks bound up. I'll keep an eye on it.

Rich G.

Mine is like that too. Not an issue.