Main Menu

T/A pitman arm

Started by Harley, January 06, 2021, 06:05:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Harley

I finally have gotten to the point in the restoration of my t/a where the steering can be assembled and I hit a snag. It seems that the tapered bolt that goes into the drag link is too short. Because the top of the grease zerk in the inner tie rod end hits the torsion bar when the wheels are turned to the right. I had the pitman arm and steering sector rebuilt by steer n gear. Should the tapered bolt have a longer shank before the taper starts? A half of an inch longer would work.  Thanks! Harley

Chryco Psycho

If the grease fitting is contacting the torsion bar you can shim the upper bolts on the steering box to drop the pitman arm slightly .

Harley

Thanks, shimming did cross my mind. I just didn't think that would be an acceptable solution when the car is at a show and other folks are judging it. I may just shim it as that would be a quick and easy fix to the immediate problem.  This site is FANTASTIC!!   Thank You!  Harley

fc7cuda

The factory used break away jerk fittings, maybe after greasing the tie rod you could just remove the zerk.  Them inset a blank.   :alan2cents:

Harley

Thanks for the 2cents worth. That's interesting to know(break away fittings) I learn new things about these mopars every time I look at this site. you guys are the best!!