Main Menu

tapered washers

Started by Burdar, March 04, 2017, 06:15:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Issue is resolved.  There wasn't an issue at all actually.  I failed to take into consideration that the suspension is hanging down.  I jacked up the lower control arm to where it will be at ride height and the bolt just clears the sway bar tab.  I'll still cut the bolt off almost flush with the nut though.  First picture is with the suspension hanging.  Second picture is at ride height. 

Brads70

Looks like the caster changer a lot then? :huh: Does it contact the nubs on the ball joint and lower control arm when at maximum turn?   If you max out the caster when aligning the front end it should help too.

Cuda Cody

Is it just the angle of the photo, but it doesn't look like you'll be able to turn the wheel much?   :huh: 

Quote from: Burdar on March 06, 2017, 03:31:48 PM
Issue is resolved.  There wasn't an issue at all actually.  I failed to take into consideration that the suspension is hanging down.  I jacked up the lower control arm to where it will be at ride height and the bolt just clears the sway bar tab.  I'll still cut the bolt off almost flush with the nut though.  First picture is with the suspension hanging.  Second picture is at ride height.

Burdar

QuoteDoes it contact the nubs on the ball joint and lower control arm when at maximum turn?

The steering isn't connected yet so I don't know.  With the suspension hanging, the spindle didn't turn much at all before the bolt hit.  Just eyeballing how much the spindle turns now, it looks pretty close to where it should be at full lock.  Once the steering is mocked up, I'll make sure the LBJ nub hits the LCA stop before there is any contact.

The LBJ angle straightens out at ride height.  That basically rotates the end of the bolt up, above the sway bar tab.  It still needs to be trimmed though.

QuoteIs it just the angle of the photo, but it doesn't look like you'll be able to turn the wheel much?

It must be the angle of the picture because the spindle turns a lot more now.

Brads70

Quote from: Burdar on March 06, 2017, 03:56:29 PM
QuoteDoes it contact the nubs on the ball joint and lower control arm when at maximum turn?

The steering isn't connected yet so I don't know.  With the suspension hanging, the spindle didn't turn much at all before the bolt hit.  Just eyeballing how much the spindle turns now, it looks pretty close to where it should be at full lock.  Once the steering is mocked up, I'll make sure the LBJ nub hits the LCA stop before there is any contact.

The LBJ angle straightens out at ride height.  That basically rotates the end of the bolt up, above the sway bar tab.  It still needs to be trimmed though.

Ah that explains it then , iIf the tierods /steering is not hooked up .... :cheers:

HP_Cuda

very cool, higher and to the inside.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200