Main Menu

Tie Rod End Grease Zerk

Started by Gary AAR, September 25, 2022, 08:53:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Just getting my 70 Cuda to a condition where I can drive it.  After some short drives I noticed the inner grease zerk on the drivers side tie rod is just touching the torsion bar at some point during a turn (just enough to scratch the paint off the torsion bar).  The passenger side does not contact the torsion bar.  See attached photos.  I think I've read about this, but in searching the site I couldn't find anything.  Details on my car include the following:
* Stock suspension (everything is new).
* Original 15x7 rallye wheels with new Goodyear E60-15 Polyglas tires on the front.
* Ride height adjusted to 25 1/8" on both sides of the car, measured at the center of the wheel from the ground up to the bottom of the front fender.
Is this typical on some cars?  Is it just an accumulation of tolerances on some cars that causes the issue? 
For now I've removed the grease zerk, and plan to find a short plug to install.  Any body else have this issue, and what did you do to resolve it?
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill