Main Menu

How would you handle this ? -UPDATE=

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 15, 2021, 10:39:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

First a little back story -

In the fall I pulled my turn switch because of a brake light issue. Ok spring is (sorta) here. Time to get the new switch installed and the colum back together.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I get the crush can back on (question about this later) and I can't get the nut that goes to the steering shaft to start. I'm having one of those WTH moments cause it came apart ok.  :headbang: I look at the nut, sure enough I boggered it up a little bit trying to reinstall. (I think I got another nut on a colum at the shop) Anyway pull the crush can back off - found the problem. Just not sure how to approach it. Chase it with a die? (1/2-20, guessing??) Do a little finesse work with the Dremel? I sure dont want to do a complete colum teardown.  :headbang: 

And is there an actual spec for the space between the crush can and the lock bowl ? :notsure:

BIGSHCLUNK

This should be better...

anlauto

Should be able to chase it with a regular die if you have one. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 15, 2021, 11:02:59 PM
This should make it an easy fix...

That looks like a great idea. I've never heard of these "split dies". I assume it'd be clamped together near the bottom where the threads are good and chase upward. No chance of possibly starting a regular die cockeyed.

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 16, 2021, 06:29:26 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 15, 2021, 11:02:59 PM
This should make it an easy fix...

That looks like a great idea. I've never heard of these "split dies". I assume it'd be clamped together near the bottom where the threads are good and chase upward. No chance of possibly starting a regular die cockeyed.

Oh, that makes sense....I was trying to figure out their benefit  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Quote from: anlauto on May 16, 2021, 05:52:24 AM
Should be able to chase it with a regular die if you have one. :dunno:

:iagree: I'd work on it with a file. You are just trying to get some clearance from the damaged end. Looks like an easy fix based on the photos.

340Challman

Worst case scenario, taper the damaged threads off. There should be plenty of remaining threads. But I will say that split die should make quick work of it with no need to taper. I wouldn't trust myself with a Dremel, but I've cleaned many a thread with a file.
Kevin

BIGSHCLUNK

Thanks for the suggestions ! I do have regular dies and jeweler's files....  The boo-boo is in the 7/8 o'clock position which makes me a little hesitant with either for a variety of reasons.  If it was up top I'd be more comfortable.   

Now WILD R/T split die idea...I did not think of. But I have chased a few drive axles over the years cutting a nut in half and using heat and oil to clean up threads. Granted bigger diameter. And out on a work bench. Chasing from the bottom up is most likely the safest way...  :notsure: 

Stay tuned............  :wrenching:

GoodysGotaCuda

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

njsteve

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 16, 2021, 09:36:56 AM
The boo-boo is in the 7/8 o'clock position which makes me a little hesitant with either for a variety of reasons.  If it was up top I'd be more comfortable.   

I know it's hard to rotate the shaft without the steering wheel on, but why dont you just jack the front wheels off the ground and then turn them a little bit to the left or right to get that bad spot on top? Much easier to work on then.

jimynick

Quote from: njsteve on May 16, 2021, 03:22:22 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 16, 2021, 09:36:56 AM
The boo-boo is in the 7/8 o'clock position which makes me a little hesitant with either for a variety of reasons.  If it was up top I'd be more comfortable.   

I know it's hard to rotate the shaft without the steering wheel on, but why dont you just jack the front wheels off the ground and then turn them a little bit to the left or right to get that bad spot on top? Much easier to work on then.
There's a man who's been there and done that.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

BIGSHCLUNK

I know what your saying... but she's nosed in tight. Could I grunt her back?  Yes... but I just don't wanna work that hard...  Ol' BIGS getting lazy  :thinking:  :rofl:

BIGSHCLUNK

Well it was a nice day here for once, so it was time to get to work. I did order up the split thread chaser. Got that yesterday. Good timing!  Between the chaser and a diamond file NIKKI is back together. Had the wife come out and check for BRAKE lights ... ALL GOOD ! Fired her up (first start of the year) with no issues, no leaks. Adjusted tire pressure, wiped the WD-40 off the wheels and took her around the block. Brakes good. She could use a bath, but she is ready to roll !  :burnout:  :burnout:  :burnout: