Main Menu

Tires

Started by 7212Mopar, April 22, 2019, 11:39:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Got a screw on my right rear tire and according to the tire store it is not repairable. They are saying it is too close to the sidewall. Tire has above 5k to 7k miles on it. Thinking of just getting one instead of two new tires. It is for my 2012 SRT.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

GoodysGotaCuda

I've plugged ones like myself with no problem over the long term.

They won't do it as a balance of liability and selling new tires, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

I did some more googling and all the major tires retailers say shoulder puncture is not repairable. In my case it is also the outside shoulder that sees higher load.  I will not be driving like the Viper that fails to set the Nurburing record due to a tire failure. But I do go over the speed limit once awhile. I think I just bite the bullet.

Chryco Psycho

I would use one of the plug patches from the inside , they have a plug through the belts & a plug on the inner surface all in one , I bet it would hold just fine

Bullitt-

I've been told the same thing about "shoulder" repairs... IMO that's not the shoulder.
  I've had a plug in about the same spot on my 2013's for at least 4-yrs (about 8K-miles) no issues.
The inside hot patch would be preferable but you may not find anyone that will do it for fear of the consequences if something should happen. The way I see it plugging it costs ya virtually nothing, just keep an eye on it a while to see that a knot doesn't appear..  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

7212Mopar

I would also think a patch and a plug will be fine for street driving. Doing it over 100 is a bit sketchy. Yeah I know I am not suppose to do that.

gzig5

I wouldn't call that the shoulder.  I had one a little further out on a Pilot Super Sport ($$$) and two shops wouldn't do it and the third said no problem.  Popped it off the rim, put a plug in the hole and a patch on the inside.  Worked perfect and I put some good stress on that tire.  Need to shop around and find a smaller tire shop or independent mechanic.  Getting harder to find but they are out there.

RUNCHARGER

I'd buy a new tire. I don't take chances with brakes, tires or steering.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

More google. I got hit the jackpot and got it on the "shoulder"