Main Menu

Twisted a brake line.... stop the leak?

Started by xx88man, November 01, 2019, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

So I can't find it but I read somewhere that I can keep all the brake fluid from running out if I hold the brake pedal fully depressed.... is this correct? Any help here is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

GoodysGotaCuda

Can you put a latex glove or something over the m/c to seal it from ambient pressure pushing on top of the fluid? If so, that would eventually stop the leak.

Never heard of the fully depressed trick
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

If the title of this means that you twisted off a brake line, just take a 10" pair of vice-grips and after folding over the twisted-off end, clamp them on the end as tight as you can squeeze them shut and that should do it. I've also been known to take a pair of sidecutters and crimp the line to the point of nearly cutting the end off before doing the above. Do it right and the leak'll stop. Good luck.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

if the pedal is depressed the pressure is held in the line & the reservoir can't drain down so Yes  :bigthumb:

1 Wild R/T

If the system is fairly fresh pushing the pedal down to the bottom is fine & will block fluid flow.... But so would pushing the pedal dow about one inch...  However on a car that has been running the same master cylinder for years pushing the pedal down further than it's normal travel will push the seals past crusty stuff that will be stuck to the bore & likely will tear up the seals.... 

When you step on the pedal the pistons start to move & after about 1/4" of actual piston travel the ports which connect the reservoir to the fluid chambers in the bore close... So fluid flow will stop...

JS29

I have a collection of old tube nuts that i brazed the hole shut. insert them then you can replace the line, hook up the end closest to the master cylinder so some fluid will start to flow while i connect the other end. less air to bleed out.  :alan2cents: