Main Menu

Upgrade Front Pwr drum to Disc

Started by Aloha Randy, June 19, 2021, 03:51:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aloha Randy

I have recently purchased a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with factory power drum brakes. I want to convert the front brakes to as close to factory disc brakes. Does anyone know where the best place to get all the conversion parts to make this swap and stay like factory or close to it? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

anlauto

Just use factory parts, upgrade to the 73-74 large bearing spindles and nobody will know the difference. :alan2cents:

They're pretty easy to find. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on June 19, 2021, 04:03:56 PM

Just use factory parts, upgrade to the 73-74 large bearing spindles and virtually nobody will know the difference. :alan2cents:

They're pretty easy to find. :bigthumb:

Fixed it for you... And I agree....   If you swap to the early style dust shield then I agree no one would know.... 

You can also swap in 11.75 rotors & the caliper mount bracket and still virtually no one would know...

Shipping to Hawaii is gonna be the killer...  Oh, you'll want the right booster too... And the valves...

1 Wild R/T

BTW Alan, you should look into this... I've never dealt with this vendor, they are in Canada....  By part number this is the correct 70 E body booster.... None available through Rock Auto but maybe in Canada,,,,

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/cardone/5473701/

RUNCHARGER

If you call them they probably really don't have it. I used to call them all the time and didn't connect once on anything.
Dr. Diff generally has the swap parts if all the donor cars in Hawaii are rusted away to dust.
Sheldon

Aloha Randy

So it sounds like nobody makes a packaged conversion kit? Yes shipping to Hawaii can be steep and buying separate part can make this too expensive. I see Year One has kits but power drums need a special booster mounting plate maybe.

anlauto

There's kits out there but they don't look original...

Everything is available through a places  like RockAuto with the exception of the spindle/caliper bracket/dust shields. The dust shields and caliper mounting hardware is available in reproduction....It wouldn't take much to put together a set that would look original.
You just basically have to source used spindles/brackets.
If you have power brakes, the booster would be the same but you would need a different master cylinder and possible distribution block.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 19, 2021, 05:40:14 PM
BTW Alan, you should look into this... I've never dealt with this vendor, they are in Canada....  By part number this is the correct 70 E body booster.... None available through Rock Auto but maybe in Canada,,,,

Cardone is just a rebuilder..when you order from them you get whatever "fits" based on whatever cores they receive.

1 Wild R/T

There are packaged conversion kits but in your post the " as close to factory disc brakes" part means most of the kits aren't gonna fit the bill..  For me I can spot most kits from 50 feet away, plus I see the posts about new brake conversions that don't stop.. So I prefer using OE parts.... If you need new pads in five years what do the aftermarket kit parts fit? With OE parts it's pretty simple....

Here's Dr Diff's brake kits... Not what I'd choose but at least his stuff works & he offers tech support..

https://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/complete-kits/

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on June 19, 2021, 07:25:30 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 19, 2021, 05:40:14 PM

Cardone is just a rebuilder..when you order from them you get whatever "fits" based on whatever cores they receive.

I've gotten Cardone boosters before that were 100% correct parts...

Aloha Randy

After you guys have told me the information so far, I will modify my question. Is there a preferred vendor who sells OE parts that might potentially be able to put together all I need for this conversion that you guys may know of? Thank you again.

MoparLeo

For oe parts, probably Stephens, or Tony's Mopar parts. They sell lots of original parts. Not cheap but will be correct.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Aloha Randy

Thank you Leo. I will check that option out along with the one that suggested the 73 disc brake suggestion. I will keep my drum set up to keep with the car when I sell it but need better brakes in the mean time.

Aloha Randy

Wild R/T, got your PM and I sure would like to pursue your possible option. Write me or e mail me when you have time after your trip. Thanks, Randy

Aloha Randy

I have 14 inch wheels on my 70 Challenger RT, will the 73 disc set up you talked about fit or would I need 15 inch wheels? Thanks!