Main Menu

Upper control arm installation without paint damage 1970 Challenger

Started by Mopar5, January 21, 2019, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Car looks great. I'd be more worried about scratching something putting the fenders on then putting the control arms on! I'd smear some white grease all around to help it slide in.

RUNCHARGER

I agree: A small amount of grease and whack them in. Smoke a joint and have a beer (that was the factory procedure) when doing it.
Sheldon

Mopar5

Rich and Run Charger thanks for the replies the tape and grease is the way I will go. Run Charger The recommended factory procedure of getting loaded before installation cracked me up. :))

Mopar5

Hi Cody, Thank you BTW great site you have here . I found the heater/AC box rebuild so helpful when rebuilding the box.Anyway lots of great info here hopefully I can contribute something to help someone else. Mike

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

Mopar5

Anyone familiar with the Moog K7026 strut rod bushings They look a bit different from the original and the outer diameter is a bit smaller everywhere I have checked it says they are correct for 70 Challenger just don’t want to use an incorrect part the pics show the new moog set and the original set that is zip tied

Rich G.

I've used them. They do work. I don't know if the original looking ones are still available.

Brads70

Quote from: Rich G. on January 22, 2019, 06:35:37 PM
I've used them. They do work. I don't know if the original looking ones are still available.

The bushing looks taller? Would that not push the lower control arm back reducing caster and putting the lower control arm bushing under pressure?  :notsure:

Mopar5

The originals stacked up are about 2 3/8 inch the new are 2 3/4" bear in mind that is not compressed like the old ones have been for years. I did more research according to Moogs website they offer OEM style which is K7016 and the ones I bought according to Moog are the improved design version which is K7026. So I will give them a shot. What I could not find is Moogs explanation of what the improved design actually corrects. Is it a caster issue or just a better bushing or just cheaper for them to make?

anlauto

Yes the original style ones are still available, I accidently got the ones you have once, but I decided NOT to use them, so I can't speak to their fit etc....
As a side note, I've found Rockauto to have the best prices on Moog parts :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

they will work fine , probably a better rubber formulation than the 50 year old compound , might be a bit stiffer  :alan2cents:

jimynick

You're right Neil, they are a bit stiffer and when I put them on my car, it was a bit of a challenge(r)- pun intended- to get the nuts started as there wasn't much of the strut rod peeking through them. The car aligned up dead nuts according to the alignment shop.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Yes: They compress to the correct height. Maybe they're stiffer than original when compressed.
Sheldon

Mopar5