Main Menu

Winter storage: where do you support front end if you take weight off of tires?

Started by Dakota, November 30, 2021, 05:25:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I know there are differing opinions about whether it's necessary to raise the car up a bit to take weight off the tires to keep the tires from developing flat spots during winter storage.   I like to do this given how cold it gets around here and the shiny pennies I have tied up in my Nitto tires which don't like low temperatures.   Raising the back end is easily done by putting jack stands under the axle.   I'm less certain about supporting the front end.   I would think that the K-member of subframe connectors are plenty strong for a jack stand from a weight bearing standpoint, but I don't think leaving the front suspension in "full droop" is a good plan unless I loosen up a few things.  My lower control arms have reinforcing plates on them, so I'm thinking that's a good location.   Any other suggestions or concerns?

YellowThumper

Agree not to leave it drooped.
I imagine under the lower control arms.
They make jack stands that bolts to the wheel studs.
Remove front tires and use those. Car sits at load height and tires are un pressured.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

Cool - I didn't know there was such a thing as a jack stand that bolts to the wheel studs.  After a bit of poking around, I came across these at Speedway:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-Dolly-M998118-Modified-Roll-Around-Dolly-Adapter,323278.html?sku=91098118&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2F-Q7fxCLVMAGtDsXWrjNZPKp2EERSePg78RAS6-_ESI1xpX6vsa8MaAuMqEALw_wcB

If there are some other sources for these jack stands, please let me know.   This seems like one of those things where I'm not using the right words to describe it in the Google search as I'm ending up with a lot of pictures of jacks for trailers.

FSHTAIL

Get a set of these, they distribute the weight evenly and I myself don't get flat spots from sitting anymore..

Or just get some super cheap wheels and beater tires and let it sit on those for the storage months.. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

I have kept mine supported by Jack stands under the LCAs for years.  Never seemed to be an issue.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

HP2

Back in my oval track days, in between races we would lift the car up and let the suspension hang. This was to preserve spring rates by not loading them and to keep the bias ply tires we used from flat spotting.  When the track switched to radials, we noticed the tires didn't have the same issue of flat spotting, but we continued the lifting procedure because of the springs.  Off season, it was in the air for work anyway. It occasionally hit the ground for adjustments.

For a street car with radials, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Any flat it develops will quickly work its way out as it comes up to temp in the first drive in the season, and it will not retain the spot over time.  Bias ply not only would take a while to work flats spots out, but you could also increase diameter of the tire by over-inflation, heat, and time.  Radials will have nothing to do with that effort because of their construction. I've tried and it didn't work. The reverse is also true; cold, pressur,e and time do not negatively impact them.

So, if you are putting up in the air, leaving it on the suspension leaves it loaded the same as if it was on the ground. Good for the tires, not so great for the suspension, but again, on a street car, no bigger a deal than leaving the tires on the ground. If you are putting it in the air,  do so ina way that it is solidly supported and not a hazard.

blown motor

Last spring I jacked the car up and gave the wheels a half turn and set it back down about a few days before first run. No flat spots.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Rich G.

I've never did anything other then put a cover on and have never had a problem. Does it really make a difference if it's sitting on the floor or a dolly? It's not wrapping completely around the tire.

Joegrapes

When I lived up north I never did anything other than take the battery out and cover the car.  Did that during the winter for 20 years and never had a problem with the suspension or tires in all that time.

Brads70

I just fill it up add fuel stabilizer on the last drive, hook up the battery tender and thats it. Been fine for 12 years now...
Most years I hide Christmas gifts in it? :D

71383bee

Similar to Brad.   I get some stabil after a final fill up.  I put her on roller wheels. Stuff her full of bounce sheets.  Put the visors down.  I pull the battery and take it to the basement for some bench charging. Cover her and shove her as far as I can into the corner.  And yes she's excellent for Xmas presents!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top