Main Menu

Wheel studs and drums

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, March 02, 2020, 06:21:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

Did the factory paint the right hand thread studs green and the left hand threads red? Both of my drums are painted red like my 69 Charger drums with road wheels. Did not know they did this on AAR drums? Maybe someone else painted them?

usraptor

Both drums were painted red on their face. Since they slopped it on with a paintbrush they probably got some red paint on the studs.  I've never heard of the studs on one side being painted a different color than the other but may be wrong.  :dunno:

anlauto

It makes sense in 1970 with the LH and RH studs  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

Don't ever recall paint on the L/R studs. You can do it if you like but there is a large "L" stamped on the end of the studs. Unless a concours restoration I would replace with new/modern r/h studs and lugs. Over the years of removing and reinstalling wheels, the threads get worn, studs stretched when over torqued and wheel side taper gets worn. Proper torque on the old 1/2 " studs was about 65lbs. Most modern lugs get torqued to 110 lbs. WAY too much for our older cars.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

SeventyTX9RTRag

Thanks for the Moparts link. Appears the factory did paint the studs. I thought that paint was probably original. Not sure why a PO would do that, and the fact the car is mostly original paint, and has not seen a harsh life lead me to believe that too.