Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Reanimated.

Started by Marty, December 13, 2020, 04:02:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Really like that '70 V Code.  :clapping: So did the potential buyer buy them?

RUNCHARGER

That clone Challenger and V-code Cuda are a really nice pair.
Sheldon

Marty

Quote from: usraptor on August 27, 2023, 09:14:01 AM
Really like that '70 V Code.  :clapping: So did the potential buyer buy them?

The buyer lives in Hawaii and was contacted today. I won't know anything at the moment if the sale went through.

The Challenger and 'Cuda will be going to Mecum.

Marty

Working on the door assemblies.

Installed the door weatherstripping, roof rail seals, door stop bumpers, and felt kit.

The window guides/stabilizers were removed and cleaned up a bit. I carefully removed the worn material with a razor blade leaving the rubber cushion. I replaced the worn surface with the soft loop side of Velcro.

Installed and adjusted the striker making sure the stripe and body lines stayed constant and the door opened and closed with no effort. The windows seal at the top and move up and down freely.

Cleaned off the years of crud that was stuck on the windows with lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool. Finished up with a coat of wax. The windows are in great condition.

Prepped the rear torque boxes and applied a couple coats of epoxy primer. I need to get them installed shortly since the rear will be ready soon.

Marty

I decided to make my own moisture barriers. I rolled out some masking paper and cut it to the size of the door. I made an impression from the door to the paper and cut as required. Once the paper was fitted, I applied a couple of coats of clearcoat, per side to waterproof the paper.

Installed the left rear torque box. It was trimmed to fit, welded in, epoxy primer was applied then sprayed with low-gloss black.

Marty

Finished installing the right rear torque box. I sealed the weld with panel adhesive but have yet to paint it.

The Dana was dropped off today. Changed the gearing to 3.54's.

Marty

Finished up the right torque box with some low-gloss single-stage black. While I had the paint out I refinished the media-blasted rear suspension parts. Excluding the shocks, calipers, and discs. They just were wiped down with solvent then primed and painted.

I inspected the leaf springs to see how the RPM protection was holding up. I saw some spots with some flash rust developing so I scrubbed the spots with some #0000 steel wool and recoated both springs. For the most part, the RPM did its job. Apparently, I just missed a few areas. I suggest a minimum of two coats instead of one.

The hard part was muscling the Dana in place. Once bolted in, the rest of the parts were installed.

dodj

:popcorn:  :popcorn:
Getting my popcorn out. It's been four months. I'm expecting quite an update soon.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

usraptor

Quote from: dodj on February 21, 2024, 03:57:23 AM:popcorn:  :popcorn:
Getting my popcorn out. It's been four months. I'm expecting quite an update soon.
Ditto!  :popcorn:

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Marty on August 24, 2023, 11:50:40 PMThe second Barracuda to be looked over was also a 1971. 318/automatic. Restored(ish.) Unfortunately, I didn't get a clear picture of the tag.

Here is a clear picture of the tag. The Mopars 5150 guys just bought that Barracuda at Mecum Kissimmee 2024 for $42,900. There is a video HERE. Not a bad price for a clean `71.

Marty

I took a break from the Barracuda to regroup. I'll be reporting back shortly.

Marty

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on February 21, 2024, 08:40:46 PM
Quote from: Marty on August 24, 2023, 11:50:40 PMThe second Barracuda to be looked over was also a 1971. 318/automatic. Restored(ish.) Unfortunately, I didn't get a clear picture of the tag.

Here is a clear picture of the tag. The Mopars 5150 guys just bought that Barracuda at Mecum Kissimmee 2024 for $42,900. There is a video HERE. Not a bad price for a clean `71.

A colleague of mine rebuilt the engine just before it went to Mecum.

Marty

I was sidetracked for a while to refinish a 1971 Hemi Cuda. It gave me a break from my own Barracuda.

When I found my Barracuda, it came with the 440, 4-speed, and Dana. As I was loading things up I didn't pay attention to the 4-speed. We just grabbed it and loaded it in the trailer. Recently, I took it out to get it rebuilt and noticed it was the wrong one. It was a 1968 B body trans with only the one shfter mount.

The search for another 4-speed started. Hopefully something local. A friend of mine last weekend went to Joplin, Missouri to pick up a 1970 Roadrunner and a 1970 Z/28. Somehow the conversation went to 4-speeds. The gentleman said he had an M22 Muncie and an A833 out of a 1970 E-Body for sale that just came out of the transmission shop. I was contacted, and I told him I'll take it. It was dropped off along with a 1970 Corvette on Monday.

The purchase included a freshly rebuilt A833, Shifter, shifter linkage, pistol grip, Aluminum bell housing, and mounting plate. I hope to get the 440 and the four-speed installed this Summer. looks like having the wrong transmission put me ahead of the game with having the complete assembly instead of having to track down all those added parts. That doesn't happen often.

My front torque boxes also arrived and are epoxy-primed and ready for installation.

dodj

The old paint job reminds me of the paint jobs you would see in Camaro Craft magazine...I mean Car Craft magazine. ...Early 80's maybe?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Marty

The owner told me it was done in the 70's. The things we thought were so cool back then. Not so much now.