Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Reanimated.

Started by Marty, December 13, 2020, 04:02:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

You sure have a number of interesting cars to work on. Thanks for taking the time to post up pics and brief descriptions of methods.
Your own car must be starting hold up a fair amount of dust.....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Marty

Unbelievable!!! This is the second time you've found me! (Corvette forum. 1970 LS-5 Corvette. I still have it.) Yes, I remember your Olds. I still remember the day you brought it in the hobby shop.  35 years? Where does the time go. Still doing the paint/restoration gig, it never slowed down.

Marty

Quote from: dodj on June 21, 2024, 04:16:47 AMYou sure have a number of interesting cars to work on. Thanks for taking the time to post up pics and brief descriptions of methods.
Your own car must be starting hold up a fair amount of dust.....

Your very welcome.

I keep painters' plastic on the Barracuda...but the body filler/primer dust still gets through. It's a never-ending chore sweeping it up.

I tried to take a break to catch up on the list cars I've committed to, but no one listened. :haha:  It's hard to say no.

mtull

Quote from: Marty on June 21, 2024, 04:17:42 AMUnbelievable!!! This is the second time you've found me!

I read the updates to your forum threads for months before I realized it was you.  Glad to hear you still have the LS5 and happy to 'virtually' see you again. 

I think you painted the H/O 15 years prior to when I took those pics.  10 ~ 15 years after you painted the car, the Oldsmobile community determined the paint formula for the gold stripes (only offered by one source at the time) was way off so they adjusted the formula.  The stripes were repainted and the tires were changed over to reproduction Polyglass.  For full disclosure, the house in the background is not mine nor is it in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I've distracted way too much from your thread already.  Thank you for sharing your work for all of us to enjoy, looking forward to seeing more progress!

Marty

The gold paint I used was bought out of Florida. Supposedly that gentleman was the only one that had the OEM formula. I don't recall how I located him. Maybe he was in Hemmings Motor News. It came in enamel only. Jim at MATTO's had a Basemaker converter that made enamel into a basecoat. It was a DUPONT product.

Sometimes in the paint world you're at the mercy of who mix's your paint. One gram off can make a big difference. Try not to have your paint mixed on a Monday morning.  :haha:

Keep in touch!

mtull

Yep, your correct, there was only one guy at the time.  He wouldn't share the formula if I recall correctly?  I 100% don't believe any fault could ever be placed on you or they guys mixing the paint.  The issue was with the formula.  Information on the Internet was not widely available like it is today.  Luckily the Oldsmobile community was eventually able to find a more accurate solution.

TTYL
M.   

Marty

You're correct. He owned the formula...at that time. It was only a matter of time before someone figured it out.

MoparCarGuy

For those interested, the BS23R1B253218 "Creamsicle" HemiCuda is discussed HERE.