Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Tor red project

Started by Romero14, August 29, 2023, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Romero14

So I bought a project barracuda a few wks ago, and we started the tear down. It's a 1970 gran coupe which I received with a 72 340 and 904 trans. I plan on making this a 440 car with a 4 spd even though I'm really considering a tremec. I also thought about going skaker, but I'm not sure if that's possible with AC. This is an original ac car so I plan to keep it but upgrade to the more modern ac system. The interior was originally black and gold that someone painted black at some point. The gold can be seen so I plan to clean the panels up and sell what I don't need. I'm going tor red exterior with white interior and possibly a white vinyl top. Thanks to my buddy Mike, I'll be able to build one of my dream cars. I currently own a 70 plum crazy a66 challenger but always wanted a Cuda.
We are doing more tear down tomorrow to get it ready for sandblasting. I have a floor pan on order and plan to pick it up at the Moparty in Bowling Green next month. We also know it needs roof support which you can see in the pictures. Blasting will reveal the rest. I wouldn't be taking on a project like this it it weren't for my buddy Mike so I have to thank him again. We're hoping to have it going in a yr...maybe a little less.

70_440-6Cuda

Very cool!  Cant wait to see the progress
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

JS29

Good luck with your project, Gran coupe models have a nicer interior than the others in my opinion.  Do you plan to keep the over head console in it?  :ohyeah:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Romero14

Quote from: JS29 on August 29, 2023, 03:21:05 PM
Good luck with your project, Gran coupe models have a nicer interior than the others in my opinion.  Do you plan to keep the over head console in it?  :ohyeah:

Yes, I'm hoping to keep the console. Mine was in rough condition so we'll see how that goes.

Romero14

Quote from: anlauto on August 29, 2023, 03:22:04 PM
What's the interior code ? :notsure:

It's P6YX.. I'll post a better of of the tag

anlauto

Quote from: Romero14 on August 29, 2023, 04:06:29 PM

That's crazy, don't think I've seen that before. So originally, what's "gold" and what's "black"  :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Romero14

I'm not sure. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. You can see some gold on one of the pics I posted. I do know that the seat back were gold. We are going to try to clean the black paint off.

Romero14

Quote from: anlauto on August 29, 2023, 04:45:39 PM
Quote from: Romero14 on August 29, 2023, 04:06:29 PM

That's crazy, don't think I've seen that before. So originally, what's "gold" and what's "black"  :huh:

Here you go.. you can see the gold underneath the black paint

cuda hunter

Awesome car! 
I too am curious about the colors.

The small book calls out XY and YX both as being 70 only colors and both being Gold and Black. 
Please post the remaining column on the fender tag. 

Is this an FY1 car with a gold top or a black top? 

If you get a chance to show other original colors it would be greatly appreciated.

Known colors so far.
Gold seats
Gold seat backs
Gold door panels
Gold rear side panels

Black colors compared to other similar cars and the pictures so far
Black dash
Black dash lower surrounds
Black glovebox and ash tray
Black under dash
Black front kick panels
Black A/C lower passenger kick panel
Black column
Black steering wheel

In question,
Rear speaker panel  ?   suspect gold
Center console  ?    Suspect gold
Seat belts  ?    Suspect gold
Rear sail panels  ?   Suspect gold

Interior consolete and preformed roof panel  ?   suspect black
Carpet   ?     Suspect black

I have not seen pictures of the xy or yx car before.  This is also the first fender tag that I have seen with YX.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I'm also curious if you found a Broadcast sheet in this car?
Any chance of seeing it if you did find one. 
Not a very common color combo by any means. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Romero14

Here's the fender tag. I haven't found a broadcast sheet