Main Menu

1970 V Code 'Cuda Resto

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, March 13, 2023, 06:09:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Well, it's about time to get started on my project for real.  Been collecting parts and learning on here since last June or so and figure I better get started doing something.  Working  with a 1970 'Cuda 440 six barrel with floor shift auto and Super Axle package.  Wanting to restore the car as correctly as possible.  The car was restomodded sometime in the late 80's early 90's.  Car is a complete driver with no rust ( :fingerscrossed:) other than pinholes in the trunk floor.  Been in California since the for the past 40 years or so that probably helped.

I have the engine out, and it has been freshened up to stock specs.  I still need to hunt down a few things but want to get the engine buttoned up as a "crate engine" ready to drop in.  I figure this will be an easy goal to accomplish as it is pretty basic assembly and getting this done will be a nice milestone as I have not really done much yet.

Looking for any feedback on anything that looks out of place - just mocked up for now.  I need to get ribbed vacuum lines and fuel lines still...

In search of an oil pan, timing cover water pump housing and distributor currently.

Question: For the oil pan I am assuming the links below are correct - anyone have any experience with either the 440source or Roseville pans for the $50 price difference?  Is there any noticeable visual difference between the aftermarket and original?

https://store.440source.com/Oil-Pan-4-quart-402-Stamping-New-Reproduction/productinfo/200-1160/
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/oil-pan-564-70-71-440-426-b_e-body-oem-2951564/

Does the balancer look correct for the application?  I have read through all the details, but would like  opinions here still.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

fc7cuda

Balancer looks correct to me, drivers valve cover not.

I'm sorry I have not sent pics yet of my distributor, I'll try to do it in the morning.  Water pump housing is kinda specific for 1970 too.  Look for the pentastar on the outlet, and it will have the 1/2 heater hose nipples.

anlauto

Six pack engines used the 6 qrt pan that Roseville has, not the other 4qrt pan you posted :alan2cents:
YES, I agree the DS valve cover is wrong, but it can be modified to look the part.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: fc7cuda on March 13, 2023, 06:36:25 PM
Balancer looks correct to me, drivers valve cover not.

I'm sorry I have not sent pics yet of my distributor, I'll try to do it in the morning.  Water pump housing is kinda specific for 1970 too.  Look for the pentastar on the outlet, and it will have the 1/2 & 5/8 heater hose nipples.

@fc7cuda what is the issue on the valve cover
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

fc7cuda

The #7 plug wire runs below the exhaust manifold not on top like #8.  If I recall correctly, this is a C-body valve cover.

fc7cuda

70_440-6Cuda

@fc7cuda thanks!  Looks like I can take the tab off and would be in good shape...

@anlauto I posted the wrong link for 440Source - they also have the 6 QT Hemi pan, but for $50 less - anyone use this one or know the difference from the one Roseville offers?

https://store.440source.com/Oil-Pan-6-quart-66-72B-Body-_-70-74E-Body-Plain-Steel/productinfo/200-1123/

I am going to try to post my progress here and of course ask advice.  As for the project in general, I am looking to make the car as accurate as possible, using OEM parts where I can, and aftermarket parts if the quality is good and there is no visual difference to original.  For example, on the distributor, if I can find the correct '70 style I will have a repop tag made, I do not want to spend years searching for the exact correct tag as it seems pretty unlikely.  Thanks for all the help and support

E74cuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 13, 2023, 07:28:37 PM
Six pack engines used the 6 qrt pan that Roseville has, not the other 4qrt pan you posted :alan2cents:
YES, I agree the DS valve cover is wrong, but it can be modified to look the part.

You can also get the oil pan through Summit

anlauto

The pans are all made by the same company I'm sure :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks Alan! 

This might be a silly question but I am assuming the AMK fasteners are factory correct for their respective applications?  I ordered their master engine kit, but thought about it last night at about 3 am that I didn't bother to check for any "special" features...

anlauto

The AMK will be the best available on the market... :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

I'm looking forward to this build. Hopefully we won't confuse you too much with all the bad advice we'll give you!
I remember when I worked selling resto parts, a guy came in that was restoring his 70 Charger R/T and asked how the exhaust manifolds should be finished. After I told him how to clean them and then the proper way was to overspray them with engine colour and then watch it burn off when he started it, he had a glazed look in his eyes and I could tell that wasn't going to happen.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

Received some goodies for the engine build, and realized I forgot a few things so slightly delayed but getting closer to actually start putting things together....

750-h2

Your distributor vacuum advance canister is only correct if your car has a relatively early [1969] build date.

70_440-6Cuda

This has been a real issue trying to sort out.... at first I thought I needed a long snout '70 only vacuum advance but my car is a later (June '70 build) so figured this was correct for my application.  @750-h2 I would love a definitive answer on this one - I have searched several times and am still not certain of what is correct for the vacuum advance or part number... but I have not dug through the books I recently acquired. 

Anyone want to weigh in with photos and correct part numbers?  I am going to have a tag made so would be good to know...  found this thread, but not crystal clear for my slow brain...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3027937/re-which-proper-distributor-for-1970-six-pack-motors-s.html