Main Menu

1970 V Code 'Cuda Resto

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, March 13, 2023, 06:09:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

The vacuum advance canister on your distributor was used on the Prestolite dual point distributor up until the end of the 69 model year.  In my own research I have found quite a few early build 70's also came from the factory with the 69 style vacuum advance canister. I would say that your car being a late 70 build that it should have the regular 70 long snout canister. The 71 canister was completely different as it had some kind of electric solenoid in it. It is very possible that late build 70's cars could have come from the factory with the 71 style canister.

YellowThumper

In for watching this build.
Out for technical advice. Lol.
Maybe we could hook up sometime.
I live in Brea but work in South County.
Drive past you everyday.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70_440-6Cuda

@YellowThumper I get it!  I love following all kinds of threads here, but feel like every time I have a plan and am ready to start putting something together I find I am not sure I am going down the right road.... I have collected lots of parts and feel like I have pretty much made no progress.

Plus I keep finding I am missing more little things... oil pump intermediate shaft (but do I use bronze or steel drive gear?), valley pan hold downs, oil slinger, heater hose nipples (which ones are correct?) and on and on.... :pullinghair:

Maybe I should have bought the one that was already done...... :haha:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

YellowThumper

Owned mine for 40 years now and still not done.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70_440-6Cuda

Well, picked up a few more parts the last couple of weeks but have yet to really start working on the car - a lot of organizing and making space to work.  A little disappointing but parts hunting keeps the motivation up a bit....

Hopefully have the final pieces for the engine assembly next week....

In the meantime, I picked up a complete set of front spindles / disc brakes and have a couple questions - left and right hubs seem to be different and 1 caliper has part # KH 78933 which I cannot seem to find info on.  Also, threads on the spindles seem a little rough, will run a tap on them, but certainly do not want to take chances here. 

As always looking for opinions and feedback on the parts I came up with as I am no expert in this area and have the opportunity to unwind the deal.

Also found this reverse lockout for 1970 with floor shift auto - thoughts?

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

EV2RTSE

Calipers should both be KH80012. The 78933 might be C-Body  :sorry:

70_440-6Cuda

Well, change of plans a bit.... going to try to start tearing the car down some and fit up the front clip since I got my newly refurbished hinges from Resto Rick - THANK YOU SIR!!!

I have to say, his response time and delivery time was lightening fast in this world of hurry up and wait, I cannot say enough about the excellent experience!  Exactly 1 week from the time I sent my first email to the hinges at my door - awesome!

Also picked up an original clean Rally hood that hopefully arrives this week - also thanks the the group here

70_440-6Cuda

Well, I at least got started, even if it's not much of a plan.  Was tired of moving boxes around, so figured fenders stored on the car is as good a place as any.

Pulled the front clip off this weekend and found a pretty ghetto assembly of the fiberglass fenders and header panel.  It makes NO sense to me as I can see traces of the original black paint on the radiator support, cowl and other areas and see no evidence of any accidents so WHY would anyone do that is beyond me.  Any case, pulled the grill, fenders, header panel etc.  and dropped on the AMD fenders with a couple of bolts to hold them in place.  Looks like it is going to be some work to get them fitted up and aligned.  Also no signs of any rust so another plus!

Also pulled out some very sexy home made fender liners - they had the car riding on the bump stops and you can see where the tires wore through.  Going to fit up the header panel, hood hinges and hood and see how it all comes together roughly and go from there.  Also looks like they modified the original bumper to delete the license plate opening and added a home build "billet" insert in the front valence - made out of steel!  Sort of defeats the purpose of lightweight 'glass front clip and a 50 # anchor in the valence!

Any suggestions on where to start for aligning the body panels I am all ears, I will do some searches this week and see what I find.  Pretty excited to just see something happening, and man, does the car look better with the right fenders on it.....