Main Menu

1971 RT rescued after being left for dead

Started by gdrill, April 27, 2017, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

Quote from: gdrill on May 06, 2017, 05:28:00 PM
Thanx everyone. I will be getting some work done to it this summer. I have recently got the road runner, that was in the way, on the road. So that puts all the attention back on this guy. I don't think I mentioned that I have actually found the original 383 from the car. The trans and diff are long gone however.

That is great you have located the motor. Most important, and the trans is always nice, but the motor still trumps the trans. The differential was never coded, but some did have assembly dates, or at least I have heard that.  :cheers:

Good deal locating the original motor.
What was the process to find it?

gdrill

Actually, it was a bit lucky, but due to the fact that Mopar folks are.......well.....Mopar folks, I figured there was a chance! I knew the car had been parted out here in Alberta in the 90's sometime. I thought to myself the engine would likely have been kept by someone, being a Challenger engine. So I put an ad on Kijiji, our Craigslist type thing, looking for it. I had a few responses from people who thought they remembered this car. Then I started calling all the 383 for sale ads asking years etc. I came across one fellow who was the final key. He asked about the car, and when I described it to him, he told me who parted it out, and that he likely still had the engine. Turns out he was right. The engine had just been rebuilt as well. It was destined to be in a 71 Cuda, but once I contacted him, he was more than happy to put it back where it belonged. I went and visited and also found out where my original dash cluster was as well. It lives in a Hemi Cuda now! But that's ok, the engine is what I really wanted. The only other part I wanted but did not find was the radio block off plate, that has not turned up. Here are pics of the car just before being parted out, the engine and the dash.
Never too old to learn.

Cuda Cody

Great story!!!!  I know someone with a radio block off plate if you need.  Not sure the price, but I can put you two in touch if you like.

gdrill

Thank you Cody. I have missed out on 3 plates so far, too much, outbid and too late! I am interested!
Never too old to learn.

Cuda Cody

These are Ryan Brutt's.  I'll send him this link so he can get in touch with you.

Quote from: gdrill on May 07, 2017, 08:23:19 AM
Thank you Cody. I have missed out on 3 plates so far, too much, outbid and too late! I am interested!

gdrill

LOL, I saw those.........these were the "too late" ones!  :headbang:
Never too old to learn.

RUNCHARGER

Great story on the engine. I like the look of the car in the "before" shot.
Sheldon

anlauto

Member @mccannix might have extra radio delete plate ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gdrill

Well, that was awesome! The plate is in the works!   :ohyeah:
Never too old to learn.

gdrill

Well @anlauto, you were right! Member @mccannix did have a radio block off plate, at least one, and now I have one! I will say this is an awesome piece. I believe @mccannix built it from a standard plate and it is impossible to tell! On top of that, the packaging is absolutely professional and exciting at the same time. Thank you very much.
:ohyeah:

Never too old to learn.

anlauto

Yup...Terry's the man. I'm getting a plate from him on Sunday.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

gdrill

It most certainly is. I'm no professional Mopar parts guru, but in my opinion it looks absolutely great! It will do a wonderful job in my car!
Never too old to learn.

Shoooter

That's lucky to find your motor after all these years. I love it when things like this come together. Only mopar guys understand