Main Menu

1971 RT rescued after being left for dead

Started by gdrill, April 27, 2017, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gdrill

Well, the story is about a year and a half old now. I acquired the car through a trade. It was very rough to say the least. It had been stripped, sandblasted and the left for dead. Fortunately, for it, I'm a sucker for punishment so it got a new lease on life. Though it will not be a show car, I will only resurrect it as a driver.  I repaired all the small sections that were rusted out by making my own patches. Then I purchased some floor pans and popped them in to place. It doesn't look like much but it is a far cry from what I drug home! I'll attach a link to a build thread on E-bodies to show the full story, but I'll post any future work here complete in detail. So without further ad-hue, I'll try to load some quick run through the process pics!

https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/71-rt-resurrection.10487/
Never too old to learn.

gdrill

So at this point, I have chopped off and replaced the rear of the rear rails, the rear of the front rails, the torsion bar crossmember and installed AMD floor pans through to the trunk. I got a trunk pan from a friend but we're unsure of the brand. No matter to me, as long as it fills the gap!
Never too old to learn.

gdrill

And here is how it sits. It is basically waiting for quarters, extensions, and finishing the trunk pan. My grandson loves driving it. I have since installed the console mounts and placed the seats.
Never too old to learn.

J-Code Jeni

:bravo: :woohoo: GREAT progress!! I love that you're restoring her to driver condition, you'll have more fun! Keep up the great work!

Your grandson is too cute. Train 'em young!  :))

Cuda Cody

:clapping:  Nicely done @gdrill   Looks like you've done a ton of work already.  Not many people would take the time to save that car and I'm super glad you did.   :woohoo:  One day it will be another cool E-Body on the road again.  Love the photo of your grandson too.  He's going to look back at that photo with tremendous fondness of his time with you in the garage. 

Can't wait to see more photos!   :popcorn:

gdrill

LOL, ya I'm kinda crazy. But it's a stripe delete, radio delete, Hemi Orange, 383 auto car. How could I not? But it makes the other one I have a lot easier to take on. It's very similar, but purple. I figure it will be a much easier build since I had this 71 to practice on!  :help:
Never too old to learn.

RUNCHARGER

I love this build! I'll take west coast rust over east coast rust anyday!
Sheldon

Shoooter

I remember seeing that car forsale in Alberta.  I contacted the owner but never looked at it. Glad its being saved

Cuda Cody

You got two awesome cars!!!!   :banana:  And looks like a huge garage to work on them.   :twothumbsup:

71GranCoupe

:welcome:  Nice looking projects there.  :canada:  Any RT is worth saving, and the one you have does need some TLC, but have seen others in worse condition. I sold a 71 RT 340 car last year and it was a stripe delete car too. Looking forward to seeing progress of the car.  :cheers:

xx88man

I remember seeing this one for sale too. Really happy that it's being saved!   :banana:
Keep yer foot in it

YYZ

That's awesome -- '71 is my favourite year for Challengers -- I resurrected a similar one years ago: Curious Yellow/black/383 auto which I built as a 440-6 4-speed

MoparDave

very cool. better to save then to let rot or scrapped.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

moparcar

Nice work and it will be great to have this one saved. I've got a 71 also. Sweet.
Wes

gdrill

Thanx everyone. I will be getting some work done to it this summer. I have recently got the road runner, that was in the way, on the road. So that puts all the attention back on this guy. I don't think I mentioned that I have actually found the original 383 from the car. The trans and diff are long gone however.
Never too old to learn.