Main Menu

1973 Challenger - 340 4 Speed Rallye

Started by 71383bee, March 23, 2018, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

I thought that i would create a thread and document the updating of my first E body. 

I bought her last November based on a lot of advice from members from this board.  My girlfriend and I flew out to Rhode Island and drove her back over a chilly November weekend to Chicago, IL.  The car ran good the whole way.  We had major rain and she leaked like a sieve but never quit.  handling and running was very good other than the lose of power steering near the end of the trip.

The CAR:  1973 Dodge Challenger - Rallye Package
Drivetrain: 340 4 speed 3.55 gears - numbers match
Color: Gk6 Bronze Metallic w/ VIW White Vinyl Top - appears to have had a repaint but quarters and fenders are solid.  Pin holes in trunk floor with some obvious repairs.
Options:  Rallye package, AC, Fender mounted TS, dual painted mirrors, disc brakes, 3 speed wipers, buckets w/ console (white).   

Overall the car was in good condition and the description from the owner was fairly accurate.  Interior is mostly original.  Only down side was the cracked dashpad.  The PO was a mechanic and he had recently redone the suspension and brakes.  tuning was a bit rich but no sputtering or flat spots.  Shifting is smooth.  Headlights were upgraded to LED and he added spoilers. 

Fender Tag:

R11 V6X 26 EN2
M21 N41 N42 N85 N95
G36 H51 J54 L25 L31 M08
V1W U A57 B41 C16 C56
GK6 A6XW 000 319 313688
E55 D21 JH23 H3B 398396

If anyone likes decoding fender tags this is a fun one to do.  A lot of really nice options on her and all of them are still evident on the car.  All in all its likely one of the nicer optioned challengers for 73.  Ill hopefully back this up with a build sheet after I do some digging.  Attached are pics of the initial pickup and ride. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

71383bee

Body numbers....

71383bee

So far i haven't been able to do much to it since getting it home.  I've got a steady list though of items to update.  Starting with fixing the power steering leak.  I've detailed this on other threads but I have pulled the pump this weekend and am in process on having the pump rebuilt.  The cool thing is the car is originally equipt with a power steering cooler.  My research into this was that apparently this was standard only on 340 cars with 3.55 or higher gears. 

Also need to replace the stuck heater control valve to get heat again.  Got a new valve and hoses for that.  After fixing the power steering and firing it up to get eh winter cobwebs out ill move over to this item next.  Ill have to drain the coolant for this which is more than i want to tackle right now. 

Cuda Cody

Sweet Challenger!   :lookatthat:  Looks like you got a good one.   :banana:

Shane Kelley

I remember seeing this one for sale. It looks to be a real nice one and would say it's probably pretty rare with all those options on a 73. I have no idea how many were made with a 4 speed but I don't recall ever seeing one. Good luck with your project!

7212Mopar

Nice car and it is a four speed too.  :banana:

One of my HS friend had one like yours, dark brown and white vinyl top except it was an auto. He added NOS to the engine setup and eventually total the car. We scavenge a lot parts off his car before sending it off to the junk yard. If we knew the price of E bodies now, we would had kept it somehow.

The front bumperette looks like are 74. 73 should be less deep like the rear. I kept the rear and took the front off on my 73. I think 72 up would have the Signaw PS pump. Yours look like is a Federal pump.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

bluespruce

6bblgt

for 1973:
340 4-speed with A/C & 3.55s is extremely RARE  :burnout:

I don't think 340s ever used Saginaw pumps

RUNCHARGER

What a great car. You got a good one, glad you are preserving it.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

One of my favorite colors!  :). Whereabouts in Chicagoland are you? I'm NW burbs.  Winter is hanging around too long this year but spring must arrive soon!  If you aren't already a member check into the Chicagoland Mopar Connection.

ToxicWolf

I ordered a bronze 4-speed from a dealer in Arkansas in 1973.  I know that isn't mine because I wrapped it around a tree 4 months later. Totaled.  :pullinghair:  :crying:

Spikedog08

That's a pretty cool car!  Nice score!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

nsmall

I remember wishing you a safe trip home.  Glad you made it.

So the plan is to fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy the car?  Or totally tear it down?  This seems like a good one to make corrections and enjoy as is.   :bradsthumb:

7212Mopar

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 23, 2018, 02:52:12 PM
for 1973:
340 4-speed with A/C & 3.55s is extremely RARE  :burnout:

I don't think 340s ever used Saginaw pumps

I think you could be correct. I was considering buying a 73 Challenger at a dealer out in Maryland back in 2012 and actually paid an inspector to check it out. It was a 340 four speed car but no AC. Looking back at the pictures I received it does show a Federal PS pump with a cooler. That one was leaking too. I past on that car because the price and shipping cost not working out. Someone else bought it a few months later and post a video on YouTube. It sounded really nice. However, the OP's car is even better.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

71383bee

Quote from: nsmall on March 23, 2018, 08:30:09 PM
I remember wishing you a safe trip home.  Glad you made it.

So the plan is to fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy the car?  Or totally tear it down?  This seems like a good one to make corrections and enjoy as is.   :bradsthumb:

Yes thanks for the kudos.

Right now the plan is to keep it a good quality driver and update in small increments as it goes.  The body is solid enough for me to last quite a while in my opinion.  Its original pedigree is what inspired me.  I believe this is a pretty nicely optioned 73 rallye and worth dialing in. 

Cosmetically the engine bay is fair to good but i want to put time into getting it correct and also tackle the interior.  Its all the little things, hoses, wiring, etc.  radiator is unfortunately not original but it is a correct 26" replacement.  The carb on it is a holley with an adapter plate instead of the correct TQ.  The tank venting is not correctly hooked up so I'm getting back pressure in the tank...all fixable stuff though.  Motor seems strong but needs essentials, a good tuning and updated wiring will likely do wonders. 

As for interior the car is pretty close to stock.  There is an aftermarket radio in it but he gave me a correct (but wrong) am/fm e body radio.  The kick panels, console, and venting is all in place and in good shape.  The ac controls need freshening up along with the dash.  Unfortunately the pad is cracked.  the seats and headliner are in good shape with no tears.  I;m missing some of the hinge covers but that's not a hard item to get.  The tach and speedo work.  Clock does not...no surprise there.  The fuel and temp gauges are out but i'm 99% sure its due to the voltage limited to which i already got a new solid state one.  Carpet is a replacement and is ok...id like to replace it eventually. 

All in all I'm very pleased with her.