Main Menu

Restoration: The '90s Weren't Kind to My '70 440-6

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, July 29, 2022, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I thought I would share a few photos along the way as I start to "undo" the '90s style resto-mod the previous owner did on my '70 V code 'Cuda.  I Received my broadcast sheet and am slowly collecting original Mopar parts to get it back to it's original glory...

I am not sure what is with the seats from a Toyota but someone went to a lot of effort to build brackets to adapt them to the existing mount holes.  Found a nice set of used complete '70 seats (don't mind the duct tape, new covers will arrive next week)
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Also pulled the trigger on a set of wheels from Tony's parts with the correct date codes - I could not take looking at it with the tire and wheels all wrong in very way - size, style etc!  Although I do LOVE the Polyglas repros, I went with BFG's because I want to drive it regularly - 215/65 front, 245/60 in the rear - might put some drag radials on the old wheels for fun....

Stock hood coming soon!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Chryco Psycho

Very Cool project !!
Except the BFGs , I wouldn't put those on my lawnmower !

70_440-6Cuda

Not many choices on the tires when you try to find something that matches the original tire sizes - there are about 3 choices, none of them good

anlauto

I would have loved to see you go with the correct GoodYear PolyGlas....if you're going to "correct" things, you might as well do them correct ? :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

does the broadcast sheet show the 450 wheels painted body color FJ5?  are you planning on painting them & installing hub caps?

70_440-6Cuda

I would have loved to go Polyglas as well, but for now cost was the main consideration.  The broadcast sheet does show the 450 painted steel wheels, but the original color is TX9 Black Velvet so I left them as they came for now.  I am still working on my restoration plans - at some point I will tear it down to the shell and do a full correct restoration but I want to enjoy the car for a bit first.  Since we don't have "winter" in SoCal, there is not a lot of down time due to weather so I am holding off on tearing everything apart for a while.  I am gathering up parts, and fixing some of the really glaring issues like the hood, seats etc.  Next on the agenda is attempting to cut in the rear marker lights without destroying the paint and adding all the correct moldings (wheel lip, tail panel, belt, sill)

I picked up a really nice set of original hubcaps - thought I posted that one but here it is with the caps installed - huge improvement in my opinion.  Going to put an original sports hood on it that I will pick up in  a couple of months - going to paint it satin black and run it like that for now.

70_440-6Cuda

Got the seat covers from P&G Classics yesterday, foams are scheduled for delivery next week.  Quality of workmanship looks good - stitching is straight and tight and backing looks good.  I cannot speak to the graining or pattern, but overall I am happy with the product so far.  Not sure about the "seam" in the back  at the top of the upper cover and how well that is going to work.  I will be starting the install next week and will post some pics of how the fitment turns out. 

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 29, 2022, 05:13:56 PM
Except the BFGs , I wouldn't put those on my lawnmower !
If you governed the mower to 2 mph you should be ok....... :rofl:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

I ran multiple sets of BFG`s for 27 years with zero issues, the drag radials were fairly sticky but but regular ones are just OK. I`d keep the tires but give grandma back her steel wheels and hub caps and put some Cragars, slots or something on it.  :Stirring:  :haha:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

If I ever get a few bucks for the Polyglas I will save the BFGs for my mower.... in the meantime I think I found an original Dana rear so the BFGs are staying for now!

Mr Lee

I love the steel wheels black with the dog dish caps!  If i were to have a second set of wheel for my car, that'd be it.  Correct or not. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Jay Bee

No one's mentioned it yet, but your door mirror looks like it's for a Camaro.

70_440-6Cuda

Got a chance to get into the seat upholstery this past weekend - really pretty happy with the quality of the P&G Classics seat foams and vinyl covers.  My seat frames were in great shape and cleaned up really well. I was able to clean and lube the latch and it works smoothly.  Pulling everything off was straight forward, and I salvaged the cloth off of the old foams and spray glued them to the new foam so I could hog ring the foam independently.  I laid the cover out in the sun for about 40 minutes so it was very pliable and fairly easy to muscle pull over the foam.

The finished product looked good, but not what I would call perfect.  Couple of notes I will do differently on the next one -

First thing is I have not done a set of seats in a VERY long time and forgot some of the basics: I should have taken my 3" air grinder to some of the areas of the foam that need attention at the seams - the glue they used creates a visible raised "bump" on the back of the seats at the shoulder.

Second, I loaned my good hog ring pliers to someone and never got them back, so I was using a REALLY crappy pair the came with the last seat covers I bought 15+ years ago so you can imagine how awful they are.  This made it really difficult to get enough leverage to pull the cover tight and get the wire in the upholstery tight to the frame so get a good set of tools.  I just purchased a Bostitch pneumatic hog ring tool so I will let you know how that goes.

I may redo this one depending on how well the second one comes out, but all in all I am happy with the job my 13 y.o. son and I did, and I let him do a good bit of the work.  Compared to what it was, it is a 100% improvement.

Hog ringer tool will be here Friday, so hopefully this weekend I will make shorter work of the rest - I think with a better tool I will be able to tighten up the areas where there is some slight puckering.   More to come.