Main Menu

71 Barracuda EV2 H5XV

Started by Skdmark, June 26, 2020, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fish Tale

Very cool 71.  Keep sending pics.

Skdmark

I noticed that I was getting antifreeze on the passenger floor mat. So... time for a rebuild on the neater core and and the AC box. Last weekend I had my girls give me a hand pulling the heater box out and strip it down. We dug out the FSM and I showed them how to look up the removal procedure and put them to task. I had my older daughter work under the dash and my younger daughter worked under the hood with me.

It's amazing how the foam seals just turn to dust when you touch them. Outside of the seals being bad and having a leaky heater core the rest of the box, vacuum pods and galvanized parts were in really good shape with minimal corrosion.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Skdmark

The 3 of us spent the next few hours pealing back the layers and scrubbing the box and removing the old seals and gaskets from the AC box. I'm contemplating doing a detailed write up with the pictures I have and the techniques I used once I get it all back together.

I had a master rebuild seal kit from DMT via Roseville already ordered up and on hand.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

As I've discovered a common failure point in the AC outlet duct is around the mounting screws. Any of the ducts I've seen on eBay were broken in this spot, as well as, the duct on my Barracuda. Mine also had a stress crack along the back.

Fortunately for me, the broken pieces around the mounting screws were still bolted to the AC box. So, I sealed up the hairline crack and reattached the broken screw mounts with CA. I blended the seam with some 400 and 600 sandpaper and a quick wipe with black shoe polish to even out the sheen. Granted, you have to be a contortionist with a flashlight to see it under the dash, but I figured why not.

To prevent it from breaking again, I took a piece of steel strip stock cut it to length, drilled two holes and painted it satin black. I'll use it as a reinforcement to sandwich the AC outlet duct to the AC box.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

Wanting to keep as many original parts as possible with the Barracuda I wanted to get the heater core rebuilt and while I'm at it have the AC evaporator pressure checked. Additionally, I just picked up a date code correct radiator for my Challenger that need to be checked and refurbished.

So being in SE Wisconsin and about 180 miles from Glen-Ray in Wausau... I contacted Bob at Glen-Ray via email and made an informal appointment during the week to run the parts up to him. This was my first time meeting Bob and his passion and knowledge for what he does was clearly evident.  It turns out that in the mid 60's Bob's dad mentored at a radiator shop in Chicago that was 2 miles from where I grew up. The radiator shop that his dad mentored at re-cored the radiator and flushed the gas tank in my Challenger 28 years ago.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

With the heater box finally scrubbed clean and all the old seals removed, I've begun installing all the new foam seals. After the seals were installed I reconnected the vacuum pods and checked their function with a hand pump. Once I get my heater core and evaporator back from Glen-Ray I can do the final assembly.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

While I'm waiting for the heater core and evaporator to come back to finish the AC box...
I wanted to see how well I could clean up the crusty blower motor with orange overspray. 
Worst case, I could send it out for refinishing.

Here are a couple of crappy before pics and some when I just started cleaning it yesterday afternoon.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

Here it is after many hours of soaking in Simple Green, scrubbing with a nylon brush, scrubbing with a fine scotch-brite pad, scrubbing with 0000 steel wool and multiple polishing's with the Mothers mag polish. I think I'm all out of elbow grease at this point.

Is it a perfectly restored blower motor? Heck no. There are still some areas with "character".
On the bright side (pun intended) it's not spray bombed and still has it's original plating on it (albeit shinier in spots). In the end it cost me about 8 hours of elbow grease while listening to some tunes in the basement.
-Harlan Ellison

anlauto

Should throw a coat of satin clear on it  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Nice job on the heater box and blower motor!

What process did you use to clean up the vacuum pods on the heater box?

Skdmark

Quote from: larry4406 on July 06, 2020, 03:18:03 AM
Nice job on the heater box and blower motor!

What process did you use to clean up the vacuum pods on the heater box?

Thanks.

Re: Vacuum pods.
Sprayed down and wiped with Simple Green. Then, lightly scrubbed with 0000 steel wool.
Masked the ports and rubber seals. Wipe down with lacquer thinner to remove fingerprints and dust. Coated with a clear lacquer.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

I'm slowly piecing together an 8-3/4  rear end and S13 suspension swap.
The Barracuda currently has a 7-1/4 open rear end with 2.76 gears.

Already had on hand:
489 case with 7260 yoke and 3.91 suregrip
Will probably change the gear to 3.55

Already picked up:
Eaton Detroit HD springs (same as a 340 or 383 'Cuda) with a +1" ride height adjustment
New shackles, front hanger bolts and shock mounting hardware from Roseville
Rear sway bar with brackets and mounts
8-3/4 housing and axles (from a 70 Cuda) off of Craigslist
Correct driveshaft from @blucuda  (904 slip yoke, 7260 yoke and 47.89" long)

Still need to get:
U-bolts
Axle bearings, seals and hardware
Axle Brake lines and vent
Brake hardware kit
Shocks
Shock plates
Sway bar endlinks and bracket hardware
-Harlan Ellison

Tony 73

Excellent work with the heater and blower, so satisfying , even after 8hs of manual labour.

Brilliant to see your kids helping out.

Cool looking Cuda, have never seen that seat option, real neat.

Skdmark

About 2 weeks ago I got my AC evaporator and heater core back from Glen-Ray. So I was able to complete the rebuild on my AC heater box in short order. Then, I spent a few hours with my older daughter re-installing it. The last couple of weeks we've been taking it for night time cruises. Next up is to either install the new springs or do the springs and rear axle swap.

I'm also starting to be on the look out for lower control arms and a sway bar set up for the front end.

Here's a few pics of the finished box.
-Harlan Ellison

Smallblock340

Very nice Barracuda! The flat hood look pretty cool!  :bigthumb:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ