Main Menu

'71 R/T, fixing a parts car

Started by Flatdad, May 30, 2018, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Thanks for the update!
Keep at'er.  Hard to keep motivated sometimes but it will start looking more like a complete car soon.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

I use original metal for patches when I can. I don't think it's your imagination, the original metal seems to be better quality.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2020, 06:34:30 AM
I use original metal for patches when I can. I don't think it's your imagination, the original metal seems to be better quality.
:iagree:

YellowThumper

Quote from: JS29 on September 16, 2020, 09:39:49 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2020, 06:34:30 AM
:iagree:
:iagree: X2
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Flatdad

Is anybody gonna tattle on me if I put some '70 reinforcing brackets behind my rear valance, it just seems so flimsy back there...  :vipermanhiding: thinking I might place an order.

I spent a few hours in the garage last night. I'd love to report big progress, but all I did was weld a tiny patch, fill a few pinholes, & adjust the quarter panel fitment about 3 more times.

I swear, with all the test fitting, you have to build these cars ten times just to build 'em once, lol.

YellowThumper

At minimum 10 times each piece...
You are getting there.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Flatdad

I was all excited about finding my camera & posting some project pic's this morning...

All that was on it was my brother staging his Belvedere II at Muncie Dragway, pretty cool but not what I had in mind, lol.

Last week I welded in the driver's rear crossmember extension & over the course of the last two nights I welded in the driver's side trunk extension. Next, I intend to weld in the same parts on the passenger side. Onward & upward!

gpm6367

Awesome post. I wished I had the skill set to do what you are doing. Best of all you are saving another one.

The world will be a better place with another 71 R/T 383 4spd roaming the streets.

Flatdad

Been a while, I've worked on the car quite a bit week to week. Both rear cross-member extensions & trunk extensions are welded in permanently.

After at least ten more tries at getting my quarters to fit nicely I gave in & had to cut+reposition the wheelhouse lips. Also, cutting the formed corners of the new quarter panels was a HUGE help as well.

The overlapping edges of the quarter over the trunk gutters had to be trimmed quite a bit to get everything to cooperate. They are looking much better.

Through some miracle, the rear valance matches the lower quarter panel & makes a tight seam. I must have done something right. :banana:

As much as I'd love to say that I'm done fitting the quarters... I'm not. :tired: Its more like 70-80% done. I've lost count of the test fits... around 30 I bet.

Last night, I needed to make some VISIBLE progress to stay motivated. I ripped off the old vinyl top & got the windshield cut out. I'll have to have a buddy help me lift it off the car though.

I've got 4 cars & 4 bikes ranging from 1942 to 2020, & this is the only dang project that hasn't ran this year. Since the engine, trans, & rad are all still intact, I'm thinking about firing it up just for the accomplishment.

Flatdad

I got the windshield stowed in the house and pulled off a windshield wiper arm and the cowl grates (cowl vents?).

I cranked up the shop vac, and started vacuuming out the cowl. There really isn't a cowl floor in there anymore... its just rust and holes. :Thud: The upper cowl panel is junk too, but I was hoping to use the one from the extra roof I bought. Its got some rust around the master cylinder area though. Addressing the extensive firewall rust isn't going to be fun.

CNUMB

I enjoy reading these type posts. Wish I was talented enough rebuild a car from scrap.. Keep up the good work and pics.. Look forward to seeing the finished car!!

Flatdad

My brother visited and we had a pretty good Thanksgiving. Between all the activities, we managed to find some time to work on the car, & what a big day it was!

We rolled the axle & springs under the car & mounted it all up with some new shackle bushings. Then I pulled all 6 jackstands + 2 support blocks, & set the car down on its own four tires for the first time in a couple years. After rolling the car in & out of the garage & bouncing the suspension, we put a level on it...

Everything checked out square & level, and the doors open & close easily! :banana:

Its been a journey to get to this point & there is still a mountain of work ahead. Finding out I did OK on all that rear structural replacement was such a relief & a moment of encouragement.

Quote from: CNUMB on November 19, 2020, 06:40:48 AM
I enjoy reading these type posts. Wish I was talented enough rebuild a car from scrap.. Keep up the good work and pics.. Look forward to seeing the finished car!!
I sure wouldn't say its talent, more like stubborn optimism & delusion, but thank you for the words of encouragement CNUMB! It keeps me motivated knowing that other folks read these posts.

Flatdad

My brother texted me last night a 30% discount code for Yearone. I priced out a rallye dash wiring harness, front light harness, & rear light harness. Even though the discount code negated the free shipping, it was still a savings of about $250. I pulled the trigger & they're on their way.

Add another $730.85 to the running total!  :bricks:

Flatdad

Update: Over the holidays my brother visited & we worked on the car. We removed the rallye dash assembly using the thread: 'Dash removal in the words of Alan' as a guide. :thankyou: No real surprises except the wiring harness was mighty crispy.

Next, I wanted to get the fenders off to make way for the roof swap, firewall repairs, & cowl repairs. That meant removing the front valance, bumper, & grill. Surprisingly the valance bolts were the only ones that gave us any grief.

None of the bolts twisted off, not even the lower fender bolts. Maybe the biggest surprise was the condition of the front of the rockers. They were certainly pitted and surface rusted, but not a hole in sight!  :Thud:

Outside of those items, I've just been methodically disassembling parts from the front of the car. I should be finishing quarter fitment details, but they've been such a PITA that I'd rather work on something easier for a bit.

That's all for now, I owe you guys some pictures soon!

Flatdad

:needphotos:
Updating to keep a running record of what's been done

The quarters fit, finally. I had to cut every formed flange corner to get them to flex properly to fit & the aftermarket deck filler had to be slightly narrowed. Now the quarters match the door profiles, have good gaps at the trunk, & play nicely with the rear valance.

That's a win.

Last night, I repaired the outer wheelhouse that was cut up to fit the quarter. It just needs ground & painted.

The next goal is stripping more from the front end & prepping the new roof for the swap. The engine has to come out to fix the firewall, but I'm actually looking forward to cleaning it up & adding some performance goodies. Bodywork is for the birds, but I'd do engine stuff all day!