Main Menu

73 Challenger ground up re-do

Started by Bamafrost, December 14, 2020, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bamafrost

Bought a great looking black on black 73 Challenger (photo when bought shown). Looked great, and I had several car buddies crawl all around it looking for issues. Couldn't see much aside from a few cheap rust issues needing repair. I figured $1000 tops, so I bought it for $13k.

During cut and buff paint flew off it revealing about 5 layers of previously bad prep work to flip car. Tore it down to see what else was hidden....lots. I ended up replacing roof skin (rusted underside from vinyl top), two door skins, both rear 1/4's both fenders...etc. Someone went to a lot of work to do work wrong. Anyway, I took my lumps and have redone it all with new metal.

Has been an expensive lesson to look over  an older car REALLY well. I basically bought a $13k, unibody, suspension, vin tag, hood and trunk lid. lol   The guy I bought it from had no idea about all the issues...they were that well hidden that only upon tear-down were they discovered.  Iam putting a built 360 Magnum in it with a modified 904. Probably 400 HP just a street cruiser.  Here's the engine bay now...going with a Tangerine Kandy, silver 1/4" disiion stripe and Jet Black.  See engine bay shot and concept image. Should be pretty sweet.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site  :wave:
Unfortunately these cars are 50 years old & are often not in good condition anymore & it is hard lesson when you find out what really needs to be fixed but really you didn't do badly to find a complete running car for 13k even needing all the sheet metal done you could have spent 13k just locating missing parts for a solid body shell .

JS29

:welcome: Now you know what you have! like Niel said, 13 thousand does not buy you much in an E-Body thees day's.  :handshake:   

nsmall

I'd be willing to bet that most of us have way more into our car than they're worth and that's just what has to happen in order to do them correctly. once it's done it won't have to be done again so good luck to you and it's looking great so far.

7212Mopar

Looks like one of Chip Foose design.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

First off: I absolutely love the way you painted the engine bay....very unique idea...love it ! :drooling:

Second: My advice to everybody has always been.....It may cost more to "build" a car then it does to buy a "done" car, but at least you know what you have. :alan2cents:

Unfortunately you've learned that lesson the hard way...If you're following my latest AGAR build thread...the 71 Challenger in that thread, appearing as it does on day one, cost roughly $10K USD to buy...but it's solid, and the owner will know exactly what he has when we're finished.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration