Main Menu

where does this ground wire go?

Started by ek3, June 15, 2022, 09:26:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ek3

about 36" long. comes out below booster . the end is visable in the photo.    1971 challenger  i laid it up on the exh. manifold to show it better .  :clueless:

anlauto

That's not a factory wire, that terminal is usually empty I believe....where does it go on the other side of the bulkhead ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73chalngr

If it is not a factory wire as Allen says who I would believe. Just because it's black I wouldn't assume it's a ground wire. Does it reach the coil cause if somebody put in rallye gauges after the fact it may be A wire that goes to the tach and reads off of the coil. The lead looks small enough in the picture that it might fit right on the coil. I did the changeover but bought a kit that had the correct wires. Just a thought good luck .

jimynick

Quote from: 73chalngr on June 16, 2022, 02:59:25 PM
If it is not a factory wire as Allen says who I would believe. Just because it's black I wouldn't assume it's a ground wire. Does it reach the coil cause if somebody put in rallye gauges after the fact it may be A wire that goes to the tach and reads off of the coil. The lead looks small enough in the picture that it might fit right on the coil. I did the changeover but bought a kit that had the correct wires. Just a thought good luck .

AND, put a meter on it with the key on and make sure it's not a powered wire, just for safety's sake.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ek3

got i figured out. i was talking with mike ross and he says position 20 is the tach.! so i got my factory harness out and sure enough,it is a long -gray wire for the tach. so i just will swap out the black wire for the old factory gray one... hooked it up and the tach now works.... :worship:

anlauto

Oh yea small block ...in 71 they used a separate tach wire which I always thought was odd.. Glad Mike helped you out  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration