Main Menu

74 Challenger with twins

Started by YellowThumper, January 14, 2019, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Added electric fuel pump. Back when this was all starting, money was very tight along with kid and her sports. Today I would have just purchased the Tanksinc setup. Still plan on it when buttoning this up for lengthy travels.
Functions for now.
Cobbled a few scrap pieces together to hang pump down low and in front of tank. All bolts to existing holes in the cross member that is there.
Complete with return line included. Current feed line remains stock 5/16 with the return line being 3/8. when FI is working and turbos are on I will swap feed to be the 3/8  and return to 5/16.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

YellowThumper

For the second line, I used 3/8 SS line. Turned out to be too tough to bend with my cheapo benders. So naturally I made what was needed from some more scrap stock.
When finished the second line fairly closely follows the factory line. Side by side.
Bender worked, but just barely okay. I had to walk it around to get the bends how I wanted them without kinking.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Again in effort to keep being able to drive car, I basically have 2 fuel systems on it. Current feed is to carburetor. The rails are also plumbed via a Y but they are plugged off.
Initially they were made normal with single bar per side.
However, they would not clear the carb linkage. I split them each in 2 with hose connecting the middle. I am sure it is not optimal but will be functional. When all is said and done I will remake them "normal" again.
I tapped the unused Magnum manifold mounting bolt holes to bolt on the rail mounting brackets.
Fuel regulator will work with both low pressure and high pressure with just changing out a spring. Feed is direct from pump and regulator controls pressure on the return side.
For now the injectors are just factory units.

Mike

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Functional , nothing wrong with that  :bigthumb:

dodj

As I was looking at you fabrication skills, I was thinking, "imagine the car you and Brads70 could build". You two should have a show - "Mopar Fab Shop".
:clapping:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

oldmoparbuff

Outstanding Fabrication and Engineering to get what you want.

YellowThumper

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on February 27, 2019, 01:06:52 PM
Outstanding Fabrication and Engineering to get what you want.

Quote from: dodj on February 27, 2019, 04:43:52 AM
As I was looking at you fabrication skills, I was thinking, "imagine the car you and Brads70 could build". You two should have a show - "Mopar Fab Shop".
:clapping:

Thank you and thank you.
Have thought many times that I missed my real calling for a career. Then again my back thanks me...

How about the plenum. Will be using the F*rd one with dual butterflies.
First two pics are quickly discarded designs when I started. Was trying to utilize a purchased baseplate adapter.
As with everything, bit the bullet and made it all. Base started as 1 inch plate.  Not shown is the full welded version of it.

Mike.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

YellowThumper

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I love seeing this stuff. This is truly your car, self built.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Throttle cable mounting.
Don"t recall what specific car it came off of but it is a FÖrd piece that properly snaps to TB.
The mounting thru firewall had to get creative. Trimmed off part of factory snap clip and made a slotted plate with large hole that tapers to smaller slot that locks it into place. Bracket latch started off as a 1" square tube drilled, slotted and then split to leave the strengthening ears. Again no sheet metal mods.
Then a fully adjustable motor mounting bracket to dial in the proper full swing.

Thanks for listening...

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

YellowThumper

Posted this redneck engine host on another thread for suggestion options.
I raised my motor to remove oil pan to weld on oil drain back bungs. Also added solid mounts to the motor.
Wanted it to be fairly rigid to the car for what was my initial cold air piping plan. Ducting was going to go straight back from intercoolers to TB.
That idea as with everything else has changed. AC pump is in the way. Piping will come to the drivers side. Will end up going to regular cushioned mounts again with a limit strap attached.
Last two pics are how I find out what exacting space there is to work with for the next piece of the puzzle. Florist foam sliced into less than an inch thick. Mount it and then close hood to crush. Open again and it retains the shape. Now there is the remaining space to work within.

Mike :drinkingbud:

Mike.

Burdar

QuoteGreat fabrication work !! 

:iagree:  I need some aluminum welded.  I wish you were closer!

YellowThumper

Quote from: Burdar on March 13, 2019, 05:51:59 AM
QuoteGreat fabrication work !! 

:iagree:  I need some aluminum welded.  I wish you were closer!
Jump in with both feet like I did. Eventually something good comes out the other end.

Mike.