AAR CUDA SVRA Project

Started by SassyAAR, April 02, 2020, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SassyAAR

Day 1: Initial Inspection and cleaning

Ric

Thats alot of pics that are upside down... :D

SassyAAR

whoops, don't know why they posted like that!

Thats what I get for using my phone, lol!

Oh well, I tried.

Ric

cuda hunter

yes welcome!  And I don't see any pics.  upside down is still better than none. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

SassyAAR

Lets try this again!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

SassyAAR

Was a phone thing, I had to flip the photos on my computer.

anlauto

So what's the story ? Is this a project you just picked up ? What are your plans now that everything is right side up ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

SassyAAR

Yes, I just had the car delivered last night. I have been looking for an AAR in this state for around 4 years now. The build will be to set the car up for SVRA racing the same way Gurney's AAR was in 1975-77 when it was raced as a privateer in FIA GRP 2 racing. Of course his actual car was repatriated to the states after it was found in France and now competes in its original Trans Am configuration. This will be a "moment in time" tribute to one of my favorite stories in European road racing. Not a clone car though, it is going to be repainted in its original FJ6 Sassy Grass with AAR decals and I will add the lighting, period wheels and vintage sponsor decals to that. Of course safety wise it will be set up in accordance with current SVRA rules etc. So right now my guides are: SVRA rulebook, 1976 FIA appendix J for Grp 2, and a bunch of old photos from when these cars were driven in anger in France in the mid 70s! Should be fun!

Transamcuda site has an album devoted to the Euro racing Cudas btw if you haven't seen it and there are some good articles and videos online as well. Like this:

anlauto

So was it important for you to start with a real AAR ? Wouldn't any 70 Barracuda do ?

One of the AAR's I've had in the past, the new owner used those "static" type decals on it, so he could take them off at any time and put them back on when he felt the need....of course it was a bone stock AAR restoration, not like what you're planning  :bigthumb:

JS29

From your pictures, I see yours was an auto on the column car. Rallye cluster?  :alan2cents:

SassyAAR

Yes the car was originally an auto, the fender tag has D32: Heavy Duty Auto, A62: Rallye Instruments, and C16: Console.

JS29

Quote from: SassyAAR on April 03, 2020, 08:16:20 AM
Yes the car was originally an auto, the fender tag has D32: Heavy Duty Auto, A62: Rallye Instruments, and C16: Console.
OK, the new floor's thru me. That was why i did not see any previsions for a floor shift.  :-[  Cool project