Main Menu

Ben's 1970 Barracuda

Started by falcben, September 05, 2018, 04:45:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

:popcorn:  Thank for the updates.  Keep them coming!!!   :popcorn:

Chryco Psycho

Css at Dr Diff is great to deal with & can get you what you need .
Great job on the trans & the progress on the metal work too  :twothumbsup:

falcben

Left fender well welded in, and fenders mocked up. Next up, floors.

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."
-Enzo Ferrari

falcben

Photo issue fixed, sorry about that. I posted directly from my google photos app and I guess others can't see them.
-Enzo Ferrari

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

falcben

My left floor is now tacked into place, and all of my front suspension has been painted. Any advice on good strut rods? Mine are pretty rough and I have put the strength plates on the lower control arms and have QA1 upper control arms, so I might as well go for a little better strut arm as well.

Currently in a self debate on engine since I have been sanding and painting motor mounts a little lately. I originally planned on doing a modern hemi swap with my 4-speed behind it. But lately I have been leaning back to classic carburetor and badassery. I have a '75 440 block, 906 heads and a 6-pack intake. But, the car is a 383 4bbl car but I don't have it in my hands. I found a '70 383 block and I am tempted to get it.

Also, thoughts on 4 speed tunnels? Mine is rotted. Is the AMD the best? or are the cheaper ones good too, like yearone, goodmark, etc.?

-Enzo Ferrari

Chryco Psycho

You have a number of choices , everyone is doing 3rd gen Hemi for good reason , they are powerful , efficient & reliable , not a bad choice ! :bigthumb:

Any big block build I would stroke , so if you do the 383 to look original you can do 438 CI , it looks stock but works better than a 440 .
If you choose to go to the 440 block again I would stroke it to 512 , it bolts in the same as the 383 & it is difficult to tell the difference between B & RB blocks unless you really know Mopars , I like the 440 block choice better , there are a lot of better choices for the RB with heads & intakes  , I like the Holley street Dom intake for flow & low height for good hood clearance & a Proform carb if you use a carb .
If the funds are there you can easily use EFI on the big blocks too , the easy way is the TBI throttle body injection with wet intake , I prefer the Multiport EFI , then I use the Eddy Victor intake & the very short Accufab Throttle body for hood clearance , but you are looking at least 3x the cost to do a multiport system .

RUNCHARGER

Most likely all the 4 speed tunnels come from the same place. If it was my car and it is a big block I would keep it a big block but of course that is your choice. I'm done with carbs. I will inject anything I build in the future even if it is just throttle body. My son brought up a good point about injection economics yesterday though. You can spend the money and inject an old engine or spend probably less money on the wiring necessary to install a G3 Hemi in the old cars instead.
Sheldon

anlauto

I would stick with AMD sheet metal, but for a piece like that you'll likely get away with saving a few bucks. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

falcben

It's on the ground! Waiting for my axle to get done in class at school, and it will be fully on the ground then! Hard work is paying off..
-Enzo Ferrari

Chryco Psycho